iPod Touch 4G- Engadget Review!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by touchhacker101, Sep 7, 2010.

1. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This should answer a few questions people have been asking and speculating

RAM:
    We assume the device is sporting the same 512MB of RAM that the iPhone has, but we won't know for sure until someone like iFixit gets their hands on it.

Retina Display and IPS (different from iPhone):
    It's not the same IPS panel that you're used to on the touch's big brother. What does that mean in real world terms? Well in our testing we could see noticeable difference in viewing angles, but only at pretty extreme positions. We also felt like the touch's display was slightly darker than the iPhone 4 screen. In general, we don't see this as a major detractor for the device, but there's no question that the iPhone 4 is sporting a qualitatively better display.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Camera:
    The rear camera on the device is capable of 720p video, but that means that its maximum resolution is 1280 x 720 -- and when it's used for still photos, that resolution becomes 960 x 720 (that's a 720p at a 4:3 ratio).

Using something closer to the iPhone 4's sensor would have made the casing for the touch considerably larger. The camera is also fixed focus rather than auto-focus, which means that tapping on the screen has no discernible result except for altering the white balance and exposure.

Comparison of iPhone 4 and iPod Touch Camera Quality:

Other Pics taken:
    http://www.engadget.com/photos/ipod-touch-2010-camera-shots/#3339514

Video quality test:
    http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadget/files/touch_720p.MOV

Full review: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/ipod-touch-review-2010/
  2. longcat93

longcat93 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nice. ipod touch 4 is good considering how much you pay for it
  3. Yeedawgz

Yeedawgz Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Great review.
  4. JoshH100

JoshH100 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    What the hell,why is apple not giving us auto focus? I mean auto focus is software right? Will a Non apple app be able to have auto focus? I wasn't mad when i read that it had a .7mp camera, hoping that the sensor size would help.
  5. iCanHas

iCanHas Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    People need to understand that the iPhone 4 itself costs near $700 because of all the great things it has. An iPod touch with these downgraded qualities for a max of $400 is very logical.
  6. Carnage

Carnage Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The video quality is great. Much better than I expected. It defiantly rivals the flip mino HD in video quality. The photo quality is great for just random pics.
  7. cubsfan2154

cubsfan2154 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When you buy the ipod you usually buy apps, games, music, movies, video, cases, etc...

They probably make more money off that the the ipod
  8. mrtntv2

mrtntv2 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    meehhh, i wish the screen was a bit better... the pictures have a noticable difference... a bit blurry

9. JoshH100

JoshH100 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Phones without contracts cost way more than it costs to make them.
    The "subsidized" price isn't really subsidized at all.Plus I just want the autofocus
    that's software not hardware.
  10. Ford GT

Ford GT Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is only logical from an Apple standpoint. For those who decide to buy one, congrats, but I will not be one who does. To me this is not a "great deal" at all. A $300 device that can barely take a photo and has a less than stellar screen. This device should have had the IPS display.

People can talk all day long about viewing angles and how nobody holds their iPod Touch at extreme angles anyway, but don't you feel like your getting ripped off? Even just a little? This thing costs maybe $150, maybe, for Apple to manufacturer.