iPod touch 4G Camera Review

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mappy4ever, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hey Guys, I recently got my iPod touch 4th Generation. I have been playing around with it and I have to admit, It's pretty nice.

General

The Camera in Particular is something unusual. It is only 0.7 MP. However, It does record HD (720p) Video. The Pictures taken from Front Facing camera are 640x480. However, the ones taken from Rear Camera are 960x720 or 720x960 depending if it's vertical or horizontal.

Lighting

The new iPod touch features a new feature "Tap to Light". It works very much like "Tap to Focus".. However, as the camera in iPod touch is fixed focus, It is unable to do that. But Guess what? I have found "Tap to Light" almost as useful as "Tap to Focus". I mean it lights the subject and sorta makes it look like it is the central focus.

Images taken in Day-Light or outside with tons out light turns out really well. They are so good that it's impossible to tell they are from 0.7 MP Camera. But again Megapixels don't determine the quality.

Samples for Pictures taken in Ideal Lighting (Outdoors).

Please Register or Log in to view images

Samples for Pictures taken with good lighting (Indoors)

Samples for Pictures taken at Night (City)

Sample for Pictures taken indoor with window lighting (only)

Sample for Pictures taken Indoor with almost dark room

As you could tell it is terrible for pictures at need without some intense lightning being needed. The pictures of City turned out grainy and pixelated (sorta). This camera is clearly not meant for darkness.

As you could tell the Pictures taken outdoor are much nicer. The Indoor pictures have some graininess and quality seems not "very" good but it's still not bad for Facebook or Twitter.

Close-Up

Due to lack of the Auto Focus, Close ups don't look very good. They are alright but not something that should be called great. But they are still pretty decent and something that can be compromised.

Sample for a Close up Shot

Video Quality

As a lots of you might know that the new iPod touch records HD (720p) Video. The Quality is amazing. Sound is great and It is perfect for indoors and outdoors. Although, Outdoors (naturally) looks much better.

Here's a video footage with "Tap to Light" Effect in HD (720p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8z9FlBx3Nk

Front Facing Camera

As you know new iPod touch also features a front facing camera. It is great for video chatting and self shots when your bored but it's not good at all for regular photography (Don't ask me how and why). It is a VGA Camera, which makes the resolution almost similar to 0.7 MP Rear Camera. However, Quality is not even as close. It works fine with "very ideal light conditions" but in daily light where there's too much light or less light it doesn't work very well. But again It works just perfect for video-chat.

Sample Shot from Front Facing Camera

Space Consumption

This one's going to be quick. A rear camera picture takes about 320 KB. A front facing camera photo takes about 110 KB. 1 Minute of HD Video Recording (Rear Camera) takes about 90-100 MB or 10 Minutes/GB. 1 Minute of Video Recording from Front Facing Camera takes about 25 MB/Minute or 40 Minutes/GB.

Conclusion

Overall, iPod touch is a great device. For the price of $229.99, you get a pocket computer with Great camera. It is not going to replacement for your camera but it would work just fine for your point and shoot on your picnic. It could easily replace your pocket recorder as for almost same price you get a lot more, A HD Recording Video-Camera, iPod, Internet Browser, Games, And Much more..

P.S = All the Pictures/Videos used for this review are taken by myself.

Hope this review helped you guys.

If you disagree with what I have to say, or want to add more please throw in comments below.

Have a great day.

Attached Files:

2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Very nice review. I do have both the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch 4, and I can see huge differences between their qualities. But the camera on the iPT4 isn't meant to be for professional shots and whatnot. Mostly teens would use the camera to take pictures with their friends. The shots are not bad though.
  3. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My Point Exactly, and Thanks. I think it is great for social networking and causal once a while shot.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It is a pretty nice little camera, considering how thin the device is.

However, I'm not sure the day will ever come when a dedicated DSLR is replaced, at least for me.

Plus, my DROID Incredible takes better pictures.

Still, social networking and HD video capture. The Flip has a huge uphill battle ahead.

Great review, btw!
  5. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You know nothing will ever replace DSLR, not at least in next 5 years.

DROID Incredible and/or any other recent smartphone would obviously take better picture, don't even ask why lol.

Flip huge uphill battle?. For Some reason I don't think so, I mean day by day Phones are getting better and better with better HD Videos and now the Digital Cameras have Full HD (1080p) Recording too.

I believe it's goodbye Flip within a year or two.

And Thank you very much.

6. thkilrs

thkilrs Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    nice review
  7. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks

8. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    love the review, everything seems to be what ive been thinking, it really bugs me when people complain because its not as good as the iphone, but think about it, the itouch is thinner than the iphone, and we wanted it thinner so this is what we got, its good for facetime, for boring random videos, for hanging with friends and for quick shots ^_^
  9. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Agree! And Thanks.

You know it's thinner than iPhone and look at the price difference too. iPhone is $300+ more than an iPod touch. I mean getting this much for a wonderful price..? Who could Complain? I mean it's like a steal deal

10. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yeah, i understand the defect complaints, but i could live with them depending, like the light leak most ppl can get a case to cover it up.. but the over-heating i couldnt deal with... that was off topic but yeah ^^;