Ipod touch 4 - Wifi at home is locked

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipodtouch7, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi. Can anyone help me to connect to my wifi at home. I have an ipod touch 4 that is jailbroken, and I'm new to the ipod world. I've been able to use the wifi at work and have also used it at a few free places, so I know the wifi works, but I'd like to use it at home to explore Cydia. I have a laptop at home that is password protected, by myself so my kids can't get onto the internet. When I try to connect to wifi at home I can see my laptop listed on my ipod, but it has a lock symbol next to it. When I select it, it asks me for a password. When I enter the password I use on my laptop and click on 'join' it says it's unable to join the network. I'm thinking it has something to do with the setting I've selected on my laptop. I'd like to adjust those settings (if indeed that is the problem), but I still want my laptop to be secure, and not let others (neighbors and such) be able to tap into my connection, or have other devices such as the the kid's wii be able to share the connection. Any advice? Is my problem my laptop settings? Thanks!
  2. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    No. Your laptop does not do anything to your iPod. It should be like this as a connection:

iPod->Router->Internet.
    NOT
    iPod->computer->router->internet. Unless you have an Ad-Hoc network on your computer, I don't think you do. Look at the back of your router if you have FIOS, or on your computer in Internet explorer or firefox, go to 192.168.1.1 type in admin for user and pass. Just go through the menus until you find a WEP or WPA key.

Hope I helped.
    -Swifty.
  3. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for clearing up how it works - that make sense. I'm a little confused on the 2nd part. I don't have FIOS and I don't think I have an Ad-Hoc network, just b/c this is my house, and I don't think I'd be on a network, like I am at work. How would I go about tapping into my router at home with my ipod?
  4. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1. You dont need to tap into the router on the ipod
    2. Go on your computer to 192.168.1.1, or whatever(if you have changed it!)
    3. Then type in the user name and password when asked (provided by whoever set up the network NOT THE SAME AS THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD USED TO LOG INTO YOUR COMPUTER, normally!!
    4. Then go to the wifi (or wireless internet or wireless) tab and look to were the password box is and then that is the password you must use on your ipod!

Hoped I helped
  5. ShinyPants

ShinyPants New Member

6. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi link07. I'm sorry, but I'm still confused starting at your #2. The laptop is our family laptop, but I'm in charge of it. The kids have their own sign on, but I control what they have access to. I have the admin control. I have Windows Vista and have looked in the control panel for a wifi tab. I see a Network and Sharing Center link. Is this where I should be looking or am I way off?
  7. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just a note - On my ipod touch, when I click on wi-fi under settings I see my home internet. I know it's mine b/c it's listed as my first and last name. I looked at the website shinypants posted, but that looks like default passwords. My router is Westell by Verizon.
  8. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I found something under wireless network properties that says the encryption type is WEP, like Swiftskii was talking about earlier.
  9. ShinyPants

ShinyPants New Member

Go here:
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
    and click on your router model, skip the ad, then click the link for the 'Default Guide'.

That will give you instructions on how to get into the router. From there, look for a Wi-Fi/Wireless/Security page that will show the WEP/WPA key for your network. Enter that into your iDevice and it should be good to go.
  10. ipodtouch7

ipodtouch7 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi Shiny Pants. Thanks for that info. I got part way through it, but the default username and password didn't work for me. They have a link to find the default usernames and passwords if the main one doesn't work, but on that list my model number wasn't listed. Maybe if I call Verizon Wireless (my internet provider) they'll be able to tell me my password?