iPod touch 4 HD video out cable options?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by albright, Oct 21, 2010.

1. albright

albright New Member

I would like to do things like play movies using video out (to an hdtv) with my ipod touch 4, (netflix streaming, hulu plus app, etc) but am wondering what cable options there are to do this.

I have seen the ridiculously over-priced $50 apple cable, but I am wondering if there are any other options? $50 for what would otherwise be a $5.00 cable is unacceptable to me.

If there are no other options now, what are the odds that some chinese (or wherever) company may eventually sell some? I understand that there is some special chip apple put in to deter 3rd party production, but maybe that can be worked around?

And lastly, does jailbreaking have any positive impact on video out at all?

Thanks for any help! I searched but did not find any threads about this.
  2. ayeitschris

ayeitschris Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Try searching for "Resupported" in cydia if you are jailbroken. It supports other cables than the expensive apple cord for video out. I don't know if that's what your looking for tho. In not sure if it works with iOS 4.
  3. Eddiewattz

Eddiewattz Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    as far as cheap cables, I've been looking for a cheap pair that actually works myself, but from my research, theyve been hit or miss with the past firmwares.

Right now I have a iPad VGA out cable (30 at best buy compared to 50 for the other one) and it works fine, even on my 50 inch plasma. However, you need to jailbreak inorder to be able to play games or pretty much use any app other than the select few that apple allows. That means youll either be picking up TVout2 or DisplayOut 2.

Hopefully someone can come in here and have a definite answer as to what cheap ( chinese / ebay / amazon) Composite / component cable that can be used with the iPt4g
  4. albright

albright New Member

that would be great and yes that would be what i am looking for. (not jailbroken yet but will do it if it can offer this feature).

Thanks for the note about "resupported" but I looked it up and it does not support iOS 4 (I have iOS 4 on the new ipod touch 4)

so yes, something like a jailbroken app that enables 3rd party cables, and/or where to buy 3rd party cables that will work with ios4 / iptouch4 would still be great if anyone has more info? thanks!
  5. Eddiewattz

Eddiewattz Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    resupported doesnt work with all cables. we need someone to come here and say "I got a ipod touch 4g and I bought a cable from ______________ for $_______ and it works %100"
  6. albright

albright New Member

Yes, that would be great!
    Or even some informed opinions on what we might be able to expect as the new 4th generation is starting to not be so "new" any more... does 3rd party stuff like this eventually break the protection apple has built into their overpriced stuff?

I still can't believe they try to charge $50 for a component video cable...wow.