iPod Touch 3rd gen home button replacement?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by echamp1, Apr 6, 2010.

1. echamp1

echamp1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I recently got a used iPod touch on eBay. However, the Home button on it does not work. I'm looking into opening it up and replacing the home button & flex cable, however, I'm having a difficult time finding the parts for it.

Does anyone happen to know if the home flex cable from the 2nd gen iPod touch will work for the 3rd gen? One website has the part listed for both 2nd and 3rd gen Touches. Am I crazy? (I have found one place that sells only the 3rd gen home flex, but it's more expensive than 2nd gen versions).

Thanks for everyone's help!
  2. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    If it's a 3rd gen, restore it and take it back to Apple (or ring the Customer Service number and send it them). It will still be in warrenty as it's a thrid gen.

Just say a family member bought it for you and you're not sure where from. They should repair or replace it for you.
  3. echamp1

echamp1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay, I will try that first. However, if they don't accept it (water damage or who knows what else), does anyone have any advice on replacement parts? I would like to know as backup information in case I need to go that route.

Thanks
  4. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can buy a digitizer on Ebay for around $40-$50. They come with kits, so you can replace it yourself.
  5. echamp1

echamp1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The digitizer isn't the problem though, it's the home button. I know that I can install iHome as a bypass, but I'd rather have a working Home Button.

The real question I need answered is: is a ipod touch 2g home flex cable compatible with the ipod touch 3g?
  6. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Echamp1, I can help you since I have recently repaired an Ipod touch not a fun process. The home button is one of the worst parts to replace. The second and third generation use the exact same board that it rests on. The problem is you need to get the board out, it is melted on with 4 plastic spikes and also held in place by glue. With past experiences I haven't had luck with the button actually working normally. You will need to get the special glue used attach the digitizer, glass, and plastic frame for the new board and cut it to fit the board for the button. The problem that runs along with this is the home button not working correctly. When I say this is the board that you glued back doesn't stick and moves slightly making the travel time of the button longer which tends to make it stick. I thought fixing the ipod touch would be easy, but trust me it is a pain. Just send it in for repair at Apple I'm quite sure they will send you a brand new one, plus no problems and extra stress trying to fix it.

Oh another thing, I remember on another website saying to put a little piece of paper between the board and button tends to help the travel time and in turn fixing your problem. I assume it is the board so that is a pain.
  7. Johannes Deegen

Johannes Deegen Community Development

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    try apple first, i replaced the lock button on my cousins.
    ABSOLUTE PAIN IN THE ASS!