Ipod touch 3rd gen battery question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cito, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've searched and searched but didn't see any actual real world battery info about the 3rd gen

but the touch 3rd gen 32 gig MC model It's brand new, and after some testing here is how long it's lasting and I just want to see if this is normal cause it feels like it just doesnt last long.

on full charge

Gaming = 1 hour 40 mins

web surfing it drops from 100% to around 70% just laying in bed after about an hour of surfing and posting occasional forums, sending email or chatting. Little battery app I have shows wifi
    internet = 8 hours

video playback = 6 hours

audio playback = 28 hours approx i let it run for 24 hours straight and it auto shut off the music with the 20% battery left popups after ignoring the popups.

are those normal battery life for an ipod 3rd gen 32 gig? I ask cause I've searched and found nothing on 3rd gen 32gig battery life since i was thinking it might be normal cause it has the more powerful cpu than the 2g or the 8 gig models and wasnt sure if that was a factor in battery life.

anyhow just wanting to make sure cause if not ill send it back since it's still under warranty or swap it at best buy where i got it couple weeks ago.

Thank you for any information to help me validate it

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Might need to calibrate your ipod. Let the battery run down to 0 then charge it all the way up to 100%
  3. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    those battery apps arnt very accurate. they drop by 5's and only show the time if you have everything off. They also tell you the time based on brand new battery, it wont be so good over time as your battery wears off
  4. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well those are the right times for me, and i have let it run to 0 twice

those times i posted above are what I am actually getting on a brand new ipod touch 3rd gen 32 gig, are they normal is what im asking?

or should I take it back

I timed it and I get 1 hour 40 to 1 hour 45 mins when gaming regardless if it's we rule game or bejeweled or that all in one gamebox.

the other times are pretty dead on testing

so just trying to find if those are normal for an ipod then ill see about an external battery pack, if those are bad then I'll take it back as defective
  5. skymoon31

skymoon31 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i think it's smarter to install SBSsettings and turn on the numeric battery percentage setting. i find it saves space and more accurate.
  6. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yes but is the times i mentioned above normal for an ipod touch 3rd gen 32 gig mc model?

cause that is the times I get not what is displayed
  7. nasra1n

nasra1n New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The 'Battery Magic' and other App store apps use the Apple-supplied SDK, not as accurate as the Cydia apps' battery percentage (SBSettings). Trust Apple for not making things easy for us.
  8. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok I think people are not understanding what I am asking.

ill put it another way

when I play games the battery only lasts about 1 hour 45 mins

surfing web and email only lasts about 8 hours

leaving it to play mp3's overnight it lasted about 26ish hours it auto stopped due to several popups about 20% power that i guess stopped it. I had it on repeat.

youtube eats it up like 3 hours with wifi+youtube

are these normal for an ipod touch 32 gig 3rd generation mc model?

or should i take it back cause the battery doesnt seem to last long at all

when not using internet i turn wifi off, i have backlight at 15%ish and all push turned off.
  9. nasra1n

nasra1n New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That battery time is great, perfectly normal (or close to). It's not as good as the 8GB model, mine outperforms 32GB models (2 of my friends have them).
  10. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks!, that's what I was wondering, I couldn't really find any info on battery times on the 3rd gen 32 gig, I knew they might be a little lower due to the 32 gig's cpu increase I think it had. Anyhow thanks.