iPod touch 3rd gen 32/64 GB vs. PSP Go!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPwn, Mar 7, 2010.

1. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    PSP Go!
    Specifications:
    Screen size/Resolution- 3.8 inch LCD with 480 by 272 display
    Storage capacity- 16 GB internal flash
    Connectivity- 802.11b, Bluetooth 3.0, USB 2.0 w./ MediaGO!, PS3
    Storage expansion- Memory Stick micro slot
    CPU- MIPS 333 MHz
    RAM- 64 MB
    GPU- Unspecified 166 MHZ GPU with OpenGL 1.4 support.

iPod touch 3rd generation 32/64 GB
    Screen size/Resolution- 3.5 inch 480 by 320 LCD, LED backlit display
    Storage capacity- 32 or 64 GB internal NAND memory
    Connectivity- 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, USB 2.0 w./ iTunes, 30 pin connector
    Storage expansion- None
    CPU- ARM Cortex a8 @ 600 MHz
    RAM- 256 MB DRAM
    GPU- PowerVR SGX 535 @ 200 MHz and OpenGL 2.0 as well as vertex cores

Software/Games- PSP Go! features PlayStation OS and a universal online gaming/media service known as PSN. around 10 PSP Minis (small cheap games). 300-400 full 3D games.

iPod- iPhone OS 3.1 with access to AppStore and iTunes. No universal online gaming service (each game has its own: Gameloft LIVE, COD Zombies Co-op, ngmoco Plus, OpenFeint, etc.)
    ~30,00 small games. ~100 full 3D games.

Overall comparison for games:
    The PSP has a larger selection of console-like games and "had" much superior graphical quality. The iPod is much more capable graphically, but no games use its full power. Otherwise, some/many iPod games have better graphics than PSP games, but other PSP games are superior.

For example
    NFS- ipod 3rd gen optimized version looks better
    COD- ipod version
    BIA- ipod version
    NOVA/Coded Arms type FPS games- Both
    Burnout/Asphalt 5- Asphalt is arguably better in some respects. Burnout has better cutscenes + effects
    Gran Turismo/ GT Racing- Gran Turismo PSP

Conclusion- Both devices are very capable, but for now the PSP is better for in-depth gameplay and length. iPod games are shorter, but feature better graphical quality (only in newer releases). For 2008-mid 2009 games, PSP wins. Also, even though the PSP has lower quality hardware, it uses fat buses to connect everything, so it communicated between CPu-GPU faster. iPod has better hardware, but the buses only allow 1V max usage. this shouldn't make a BIG difference, but it may make up for shortages.

How is iPod superior graphically?
    Better OpenGL support
    Shader support
    Vertex shader support + additional cores dedicated to this
    higher clock speed
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i'll post screenies for proof later
  2. helikido

helikido New Member

yeah the ipt is better at processing and graphicaly for now. it's better in every hardware cpu/gpu/wifi/sensor/screen specs. but that is for now. i have haerd that the newer psp 2 will have a gpu that is more powerful than the tegra 2 gpu.
  3. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nice info
  4. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah, ik. The PSP2 is rumored to have a PowerVR SGX 543, which is roughly equivalent to a desktop 8600 GT.
  5. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @ ipwn
    Stop making these sort of posts that give the impression that the ipod 3g has better/equal looking games than the psp

For that to happen developers have to take full advantage of the hardware which is far from happening since they don't wanna left out older devices

And like some other pointed out the psp2 will soon come out and be graphically impressive

NFS- IT is well known that NFS games to not even live up to the psp hardware, ever since i have a psp underground/carbon/pro street/shift where all let downs (graphically speaking), there are many other psp racing games that look much better than what the ipod 3g has at the moment

COD- Are you joking? a 20MB game lol cod iphone will never compare to games like medal of honor, cod psp

BIA- There are much better looking psp shooter games that BIA, in fact sandstorm looked better imo but bia had better draw distance. If my memory doesn't fail me, BIA 2 was NOT EVEN released for psp

NOVA/Coded Arms type FPS games: Not even close to games like killzone for psp

Burnout/Asphalt 5
    WTF? in what aspects? if anything we all agree asphalt 5 looked like sh*t, anywyas burnout it is a 2005 game, why dont you compare it to games like "Test Drive: Unlimited" or "Midnight Club 3" "ridge racer" THEY OWN asphalt

Gran Turismo/ GT Racing:
    Personally i was hoping so much more from Gt racing on the ipod, its graphics don't even come close to look as psp Gran Turismo

There are no iphone games that can compete with games like

Test drive unlimited
    Wipeout series
    God of War 3
    shyphon filter 1/2
    Resistance 2
    Metal gear portable ops and the upcoming Peace walker (looks AWESOME)
    killzone etc.
  6. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Currently, none to few apps take full advantage of the 3rd generation iPod Touch. If you want graphically appealing games, and long lasting games, then the PSP is much better than the iPod.
  7. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Exactly, NONE
    even the best looking apps cant compete with the psp graphics
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no doubt
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

[sarcasm] I love playing games that require my thumbs to cover up half the screen! They're so fun! [/sarcasm]
  10. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Ok dude, Ridge Racer looks the same on both devices, and so does Ace Combat. And COD for the iphone does look better than COD3 for PSP.

ur not even comparing games of the same genre. nova is a fps thats halo like. killzone for psp is a somewhat top-down tps game. games with a larger view, will obviously look better, but the indoor parts of nova look very good, much better than coded arms and some parts of resistance. now resistance is definately better overall, but it has some really bad looking parts.

ur taking it as if i was saying ipod games are wayyy better than psp games. no, a lot of psp games are better graphically, and gameplay wise. i was just giving some examples.

as for asphalt, it does look pretty bad, but it actually does look better than burnout, just compare them.