iPod Touch 3Gstuck in strange recovery loop

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dead_mongoose, Mar 24, 2010.

1. dead_mongoose

dead_mongoose New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, so I've been using these forums for some time now but this is the first time i've posted...

I've been having problems with my iPod Touch 3G 32Gb 3.1.2 (Blackra1n JB) for a while now and have sorta progressively dug myself a hole here:

About two weeks ago cydia stopped opening, I ran the usual "apt-get update" terminal stuff and after nothing worked I unistalled and then reinstalled cydia to no avail. As I had no idea what had caused the problem i disabled all mobile substrate addons (no effect) after messing about a bit further managed to get stuck in a safety mode loop with a "iconoclasm.dylib rock extension conflict". I promptly deleted iconoclasm and managed to respring out of safe mode but still received the same error even though "iconoclasm.dylib" was no longer on my device.
    In an attempt to stop this error message every time I resprang and to get cydia working again, I uninstalled Rock (no change) and then decided to search my root directory with iFile for any reference "rock extension". I found a folder of rock extensions which in a fairly irrational manner I simply deleted, figuring that they would no longer be needed as rock had been uninstalled. I rebooted only to the recovery mode screen at which point I ran Blackra1n (I'm tethered obviously) but the Geohot screen stayed on well over the normal time it takes to reboot, I have tried rebooting/re-jailbreaking in various combinations since to no avail...

The Strange thing about this is that when I attempt to reboot the device, after about 2-3mins of the Geohot screen my PC (Windows XP) recognises the iPod as connected as if it were functioning normally. I can therefore access my iPod Camera folder and the Media folder from Diskaid, although it won't let me access the root as it says i'm not jailbroken (Blackra1n doesn't install some file or other in order to allow this access)

I'm essentially asking if there's anyway I can reinstall this rock extensions folder (if anyone knows where it's stored and where i can get a copy as I stupidly didn't back it up) so that I can get the iPod working again. Otherwise if I have to restore, how (if possible) I can avoid losing my jailbreak.

Thanks guys, I have a tendency to ramble so sorry about that XD
  2. YankeesSuck

YankeesSuck New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well it seems as though you need to restore

Please Register or Log in to view images

and you cannot avoid losing your jailbreak just use blackra1n after you restore just DO NOT UPDATE TO 3.1.3
  3. dead_mongoose

dead_mongoose New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah I kinda guessed that but I downloaded 3.1.2 FW and tried to restore but it says I'm not eligible. I dont have the EDIC thing on file on cydia and I dont know how to restore to 3.1.2 without upgrading to 3.1.3
  4. YankeesSuck

YankeesSuck New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Just try to restore to 3.1.2 and if it doesn't work then your screwed.
  5. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    if it says not eligible, 3.1.3 is heading your way.

meaning, you MUST restore to 3.1.3

darn apple for these darn traps.
  6. dead_mongoose

dead_mongoose New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I guess it's jailbreak-less for me then...

Just a thought though: maybe this isn't the place to bring this up, but surely it's possibly to debug iTunes with a debugging app to find the "verifying with apple" string and somehow re-program it to skip this step.

I'm not really the person to do it with little/no programming knowledge, might give it a go tho... my prerogative i think XP