iPod Touch 3g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by becca1023, Feb 19, 2010.

1. becca1023

becca1023 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello, I am new here.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have been searching the internet for a while now but haven't found very clear answers.
    I bought a brand new iPod touch 3g 8gb off of ebay and I would like to know if there is a way to jailbreak. It's sadly running on 3.1.3.
    But, I installed the free app Battery Magic and it says my device is iPod 2nd Gen
    Does this mean iPod touch 8gb 2g and 3g are exactly the same thing? Would there be a chance at all that I could jailbreak? If so, would anybody like to help me haha
    Thanks

Thanks - Becca
    If this has been asked before, I am sorry but I can not find all the answers I am looking for

EDIT: So, the thing I am looking for I guess is if I bought a 3g and battery magic says its 2g would i be able to jailbreak even though im on 3.1.3
  2. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The 8gb 3rd gen is exactly the same hardware wise as the 2nd gen. The only difference is that it has the updated BootRom, meaning when you jailbreak it will be tethered.

You will need to downgrade your iPod to 3.1.2 to jailbreak...see here for details on how to do that.

Then, download blackra1n from here (click the icon for your operating system), connect your iPod and run the program to jailbreak. Simple as that

Edit: Note that after you jailbreak, your iPod will be tethered. This means that if you completely shut down your iPod (hold power button then swipe, let battery die etc) you will get the "Connect to iTunes" screen, and you will need to connect your iPod to your PC and re-run Blackra1n. Your iPod will then boot and all your apps etc will be intact.
  3. becca1023

becca1023 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is there a chance it will break my ipod because i read that 3g 8gb can't be jailbroken
    And thanks, ill check that out.

edit:They have no sig...so where do i find the firmware link??
  4. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Jailbreaking cannot harm your iPod...if anything fails you can just restore. I have an 8gb 3rd Gen, all jailbroken and running fine.

I can't link you directly to a download as that would be piracy (and I would get banned), but google is your friend; the name of the firmware file is iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

5. becca1023

becca1023 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    alright ill ceck that out haha
  6. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no problem.
    Let me know if you have any issues, i'll see what i can do.
    It's a pretty straight-forward process, and anything that goes wrong can be fixed with a restore.

Just remember that after you run Blackra1n the first time, your iPod will reboot and go to the "connect to iTunes" screen. You'll then need to run blackra1n again to boot the iPod.
    After that, just make sure you put into sleep mode instead of shutting it down, keep the battery charged and you'll be fine.
  7. becca1023

becca1023 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I PMed you.
    Also, i'll never be able to shut my ipod off?
    Won't this kill the bettery??
  8. LuffyZoro

LuffyZoro New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No, turning your iPod off actually wastes far more battery life than simply putting it into sleep mode.
  9. becca1023

becca1023 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Really? That is strange, how can that be?
  10. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can put the iPod into sleep mode (press the power button once), and it will be fine.
    Using sleep mode actually uses less battery than shutting down your iPod and restarting it. Most people rarely completely shut down the iPod anyways.

replied to your PM...

Edit: ^ ninja'd.

The iPod uses a lot of battery closing the iPod and restarting it completely...it has to run all the startup processes etc again and everything - its quicker and easier just to "sleep" your iPod when you're done using it.