iPod touch 3G will not sync or restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by splinters, Sep 23, 2010.

1. splinters

splinters New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My wife's 3G ipod touch 32GB is on 3.1.3 and I am trying to update it to 4.0 with the ipsw file I downloaded and used on my own similar device. Her device is jailbroken and has worked fine.
    Yesterday it wouldn't sync any files giving me an error but it let me remove all the content on there. It is recognised and connects/shows up exactly as expected. The iPod works fine too when disconnected.

So....I tried updating the firmware but I am getting an error of 3194 on a Win 7 machine running itunes 10. I tried also on an XP machine (iTunes 9.2?) and got a 3104 error.

I can get into recovery mode and seemingly everything is OK but no sync and no way of restoring. I tried a reset too and a different firmware but still no joy.
    Have Apple somehow been able to stop upgrading to a firmware of your choice as it always shows the error just after it tries verifying the firmware?
    I really don't want it on 4.1 but otherwise it is a brick.
    Any ideas guys, this is really weird.
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Apple stopped Signing 4.0. If you have SHSHs for 4.0 then you can downgrade. For now you can update to 4.1 and wait for a jailbreak.
  3. splinters

splinters New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I suspected as much. So, if I leave it on 3.1.3 is there any way I can get it to sync? that was the problem I had in the first place.