Ipod Touch 3G, When buying how to tell which generation it is?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Oakley792, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Oakley792

Oakley792 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello,

Well tomorrow is my birthday and I am going to buy myself a nice gift, Ipod Touch 3G 8GB.

After work tonight I went to Walmart to take a look at them. I was going to go ahead and just get it but I ran into a few problems.

The employees at the store could not tell me which generation it was. 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

Then she went on and on about how she could not find a key to open the case.
    So my question is when I actually get to hold the box how do I make sure it is the 3G and not he 2nd generation. Is there any markings on the box where it says 3G.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shelby,
  2. realizment

realizment New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I think if it has 2 lines of text on the lower back of it and if the back is curved. Also if the serial starts with a "W". Double check this. Most likely all the ones in stock are 3rd gen if its a busy walmart/.
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Wrong, sort of

Please Register or Log in to view images

Well it's most likely a 3rd gen, unless, for some reason, they still have a stock of 2nd gens available. Anyways to check which generation it is, just check the bottom of the box. If the model number starts with MC, then it's a 3rd gen, if it starts with MB, it's a 2nd gen.
  4. Shamko

Shamko Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just dont buy this:

(iPod Touch 1G)

btw
    8GB 2G and 3G touches are same..

.. atleast technically
  5. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Mostly likely it's a 3G iPod Touch, but I wouldn't recomend buying it from Walmart. I would either go with Bestbuy or Apple, if you have one of those stores near you.
  6. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just check the model number of the box, if it starts with MC or something, then it should be a 3rd gen. if you cant physically touch the box then see if it has a "voice recording" icon on the sticker of the screen. (not sure about 3G 8gb though).
  7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Why would you want to get an iPod touch 3G if you are getting an 8GB? Might as well get an iPod touch 2G 16GB for same price and full untethered jailbreak.
  8. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    this. but if you REALLY want a 8gb get the 2g not 3g. same thing and its untethered.
  9. Xena

Xena Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ChrisL has it right. And Happy Birthday to you btw Oakley!
  10. Oakley792

Oakley792 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I really appreciate all the information everybody, I went to Best Buy after work last night and picked one up.

Well when I got home I didn't think I would have much trouble opening the case but it took me probably 5 or so minutes lol. Anyways I got the 3rd generation model.

After playing with it all night this thing is revolutionary and I think it is the best electronic device Ive ever purchased. What will that come out with next

Thanks again everything, Shelby.