iPod Touch 3G vs 2G vs 1G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LXZ, Oct 5, 2009.

1. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Another Thread? Really...
    This is more or less for anyone that comes looking, so far all the other threads I read are full of nonsense, people with wishful thinking, and among other things.. stupidity. So I decided to take my time to write this, if you don't care, than don't read it.

The 8, and 16 GB first Generation iPod Touch was released September 14, 2007, soon followed by the 32 GB iPod Touch February 5, 2008.

The 8, 16, and 32 GB were all released September 9, 2008, thus discontinuing all of the 1st generation iPod Touchs.

Then on September 9, 2009 the 32 and 64 GB 3rd generation iPod Touchs were unveiled, thus discontinuing the 16 and 32 GB 2nd generation models, but not the 8GB model, the 8GB model received a updated price, a initial OS change and a reduction in apples "quoted" battery life.

So how do they stack up?

The iPhone OS..
    The OS that the 1G shipped with was 1.1
    The OS that the 2G shipped with was 2.1
    The OS that the 3G shipped with was 3.1
    Notes: All iPod Touch's are able to update to the latest firmware at this time.

The Display..
    The 1G, 2G, and 3G all have the EXACT same display
    3.5", glossy glass covered screen, LCD, 480 x 320 at 163 ppi
    Notes:The 3G does NOT have LED screen, it has a LED backlight to be more environmentally kind.

The Graphics..
    The 1G, and 2G both had the PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU
    The 3G got a significant update for better graphics which allows the device to play games smoother + provide an overall smoother interface with the PowerVR SGX GPU

Storage..
    The 1G originally shipped with only 8, and 16 GBs, with the 32 GB soon following.
    The 2G shipped with 8, 16, and 32 GB.
    The 3G shipped with 32, and the brand new 64 GB.

Processor..
    The 1G has a 620 MHz (underclocked to 412 MHz) Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM.
    The 2G has a 620 MHz (underclocked to 532 MHz) Samsung ARM11 core with internal ARM7 core for Jazelle acceleration
    The 3G has a 833 MHz (underclocked to 600 MHz) ARM Cortex-A8
    Notes:The 3G is much faster than the 1G, and noticeably faster than the 2G which increases the user experience for not only gaming but the overall interface including surfing the web and using other applications.

Memory..
    The 1G, and 2G both have only 128MB of ram.
    The 3G has 256MB of ram, this helps with how well the device can process what your doing, and helps ALOT.

Connectivity..
    The 1G has Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), and a USB 2.0/Dock connector
    The 2G has Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), a USB 2.0/Dock connector, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Built-in speaker, Hardware volume controls, and Nike+

The 3G has Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), a USB 2.0/Dock connector, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Built-in speaker, Hardware volume controls, Nike+ Voice Control, and Includes earphones with remote and mic.

In addition the 3G has the hardware and ability for Wi-Fi (802.11n), FM Receiver, and a FM Transmitter. All of which will probably be enabled by Firmware 4.0.

Design..
    The 1G has a Stainless steel back and aluminum bezel; plastic for Wi-Fi antenna
    The 2G and 3G both have a Contoured stainless steel back and bezel; plastic for Wi-Fi antenna

Battery Life..
    The 1G had a "quoted" battery life of 22 hours for audio and 5 hours for video.
    The 2G had a "quoted" battery life of 36 hours for audio and 6 hours for video.
    The 3G had a "quoted" battery life of 30 hours for audio and 6 hours for video.
    Notes: It is most likely that the 3G and 2G have a reality batter life of somewhere between 31-34 hours for audio, and you would not notice much difference.

Firmware, and Jailbreaking...
    I am not an expert on Jailbreaking, so I only know what I have read in other posts, and may be slightly off.

The 1st Gen can be Jailbroken no matter what.
    The 2nd Gen can be Jailbroken for firmware <3.0
    The 3rd Gen can not be Jailbroken as of yet.

In addition, the updated 8GB can not be downgraded from 3.1 so it is unable to be Jailbroken as well.

The moral of this story..

The 2G outclasses the 1G with bluetooth, looks, an external speaker with external volume control, a slightly faster processor, support for an external microphone, and better battery life.

The 3G outclasses the 1G with bluetooth, design, an external speaker with external volume control a much faster processor, much better graphics, much more RAM, support for and included external microphone, and better battery life.

The 3G outclasses the 2G with a faster processor, better graphics, more RAM, support for and included external microphone. And with HIGH probability after the 4.0 firmware update-> support for FM radio receiving and transmitting, and Wi-Fi (802.11n).

So I am sorry that I wrote yet another comparison chart post, I just hope that this one is more than garble and stupidity and will help anyone looking for these answers. The 3G is worth upgrading no matter if you have a 1G or 2G, but its also up to personal preference of whether you care to or not.
  2. Crushader

Crushader New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Good info
  3. xoSushi

xoSushi New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the info!
  4. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Now i am considering a 3g....
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Nice comparison
  6. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice post! Sticky maybe? You forgot that the 3g has the hardware to broadcast and receive radio signals.
  7. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank You, everybody.

Thank you, and that would be awesome

Please Register or Log in to view images

And the stuff about FM radio is in there, under "connectivity" and again near the bottom.

8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Now, make it into a less boring Chart.
  9. LXZ

LXZ New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Like a pretty picture?