iPod Touch 3G - Tech Specs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedimattk, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jedimattk

jedimattk Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Here's my personal take on the features I expect the new 3G iPod to incorporate. Before you go ranting on that this is just copying the tech specs for the iPhone 3GS ... it's not. They may be similar, but rest assured I didn't just copy and paste the information. It's based on the many rumors floating around coupled with basic logic.

On that note, here we go:

Capacity: The iPod Touch 3G will be available in 16, 32, and 64 GB models. I highly doubt they will continue the 8GB line, leaving that instead to the now-cheaper 2G iPod.

Color: Different color choices have been a long time coming to the iPod Touch, so there is a chance they will begin offering it in black and white. I'm unsure on this one.

Camera: Most likely the same model used in the 3GS (a 3-megapixel still camera with video recording capability), or a slightly better one.

CPU: Will be upgraded to the latest ARM11 chip, clocked to 600MHz or higher.

GPU: Will be upgraded to the new PowerVR SGX chip.

RAM: At least 256MB will be included with the 3G iPod.

Display: The display will stay the same, a 3.5-inch multi-touch widescreen, although they will probably add the same fingerprint-resistant coating as the new iPhone has.

Audio: A microphone will be added, but otherwise the 3G iPod will retain the same stereo headphone jack and built-in speaker as its predecessor.

Wireless: The built-in wi-fi chip will be upgraded to support 802.11n technology, and a better Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR chip as well. Speculation abounds as to whether or not it will include some form of GPS and/or a magnetometer; I really hope it does, but it all depends on whether or not Apple feels that including it would be cutting too deep into the potential market for the iPhone. Another wait-and-see.

Sensors: Improved accelerometer and ambient light sensor.

Battery: Based on the battery upgrade that occurred between the 1G and 2G iPods, as well as the battery life of the current iPhone, I estimate that the 3G iPod will have at least 8-10 hours of continuous wi-fi use, 10 hours of video playback, 40 hours of audio playback, or 350 hours of standby time.

And there you have it, my bit-by-bit breakdown of what the 3G iPod should look like. Excepting the uncertainty around GPS capabilities and color choices, I expect the new iPod to look really similar to this model when it is finally released, if not better than what I expect.
  2. lilbitbrit

lilbitbrit New Member

That sounds about right to me... i just doubt the color choice or gps
  3. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

If the ram is really something like that, I'm probably going to get an iPod touch again >.<
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    A GPS is virtually useless if there aren't locally stored maps, or a cellular connection.

And adding a GPS would run the risk of cannibalizing iPhone sales.
  5. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Everything sounds about right, except for GPS and the colors. I have a feeling they will stick with the scratch-attracted metal back. At least it's shiny. =p
  6. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    - I can easily see Apple removing the 8GB option for iPod's. Just like they did with the iPhones, The 8GB will remain for the last Generation. I do not think they will bring it all the way to 64GB, But I do suspect an upgrade or a cutoff from the 8gb.

- There will definitely be a Camera. With all of the Case's, The Order's by Apple, And all around Demand on them... It would be smart for Apple to apply Camera's on the iPod. Whether it is Greater, Worse, Or the same quality and MegaPixel Camera as the iPhone's I don't know

- I'd say there is a 50/50 Chance that there will be colors on the back. Of course, Apple loves them and have had them on almost all the Nano's but they may keep the back of the iPod Touch. I think it would be smart for them to add colors though.

- The GPS would be VERY pointless in my opinion. Like stated in above posts, It wouldn't be the greatest idea.

- Another thing I don't think is likely is a microphone. Do you honestly think Apple would allow it in a new iPod Touch? With all of the breakthroughs in the jailbreaking community of today, Do you think Apple would allow it? You have no idea how many VioP Applications would be on Cydia all of a sudden.

- There's no doubt that Apple will upgrade the Hardware on the iPod. It will definitely be upgraded in performance.
  7. jedimattk

jedimattk Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Unfortunately, I agree with all of you on the matter of GPS. Much as I would love to have a built-in GPS chip on my iPod (and yes, I know I would need to take up a lot of memory with maps to make it work too), I don't logically see Apple including that feature in the 3G iPod.

I think they will include a microphone, though. It seems to be the logical next step. After all, the iPhone 3GS and the new iPod Shuffle both have microphones and voice control chips. Personally, I think they're testing the market for this new technology of talking to your device to control it, and having it speak back. I would be willing to bet that the new 3G iPod will have a microphone and voice control chip as well.

And didn't Apple publicly state that they will allow VoIP apps for the iPod touch? Look at Fring, and Skype, both of which are now available from the app store. It wouldn't be too big of a step from using earphones with a built-in microphone, to being able to use a hardware microphone built into your iPod.
  8. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Really? They finally gave the iPhone a mic?

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. luke104

luke104 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    If it happend to be like this i would be very happy

Please Register or Log in to view images

sounds good, although i doubt they will put a better camera on there than the 3GS, prob the same, which would still be alright.
  10. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How could you miss that...

How could you omit from your post the PowerVR SGX GPU upgrade which will be one of the most if not the most important hardware upgrade for perfomance

IT is already the leading graphics solution for devices targeting the OpenGL ES 2.0

with vastly improved shader power, upgraded video perfomance to perform 2d and 3d video acceleration, and supports and extensive range of video standards