iPod Touch 3g stuck with 2g firmware. PLZ Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GAM3RADDIKT3D, Oct 16, 2010.

1. GAM3RADDIKT3D

GAM3RADDIKT3D New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey all I'm new to the forum here and have an issue with my jailbroken ipod that I just can't seem to figure out. I have researched the net for solutions but couldn't seem to find anything on my apparently "unique" issue. I have been in the jailbreak scene for some time and have to touch's both jailbroken.

So here's my issue. I bought an 8g iPod touch 3g last Christmas for my fiance. I wanted to jailbreak hers as I did mine(32 ipt 3g.) The 8gig came with 3.1.3 fw originally. At the time there was no jailbreak at the time for 3.1.3 only 3.1.2 and lower with Blackra1n being the program I used. I found a website that had firmwares for download and downloaded the 3g 3.1.2 fw. I installed and jailbroke it with no problems whatsoever. A few days later I noticed games were laggy such as COD Zombies and others that require more resources. I did some checking and found out that the firmware that was supposedly 3g was actually 2g firmware! Obviosly there was lack considering the 2g has less memory as well as I'm sure being setup for the 2g hardware. Now I have several blobs saved through Saurik's/Cydias server. I have tried all of them as well as doing a restore through itunes to 4.1. No matter what I do it will only allow me to install 2g versions of my saved blobs as well as automatically installed the 2g 4.1 fw when restoring through itunes. If I try installing several of the 3g firmwares I have archived I get an error through itunes stating that the firmware is not compatible. I should have gone to a more offical firmware host and I might not have had this problem. Either way whats done is done and Im completely stuck trying the install and verison of 3g firmware.

Anyone else have these problems? Any advice/help? If more info is required just let me know. Thank for taking the time to read my post.
    -Gam3r
  2. LaughingPineapple

LaughingPineapple Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iTunes must have let it go; but I can email you this program I was working on for a while now. But I never tried it and it wasn't built for exactly your purpose, but I can redesign it to fix your problem. I originally made it so I can run iPhone-only firmware on my iPod touch 2G, but I had too much stuff stored on it so I didn't want to lose it all.
  3. GAM3RADDIKT3D

GAM3RADDIKT3D New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey thanks for your reply. That would be great. Yeah itunes definitely let it go as it didn't give me any info that I was installing the wrong one. If course just my luck that it lets the mistake happen but when I need to fix it, it then does its job. Do you really think that your program would work in my case? I'll send you over one of my email addys in a pm.
  4. iGary

iGary Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    iPod Touch 8gb 3g's are really just iPod touch 2g 8gb but MC models. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to use a 2g firmware since it is. The 32 and 64gb were the real 3g's. iTunes wouldn't have let you update to the wrong firmware, it doesn't work like that! ^^
  5. helikido

helikido New Member

ur itouch is suppossed to run on 2.1 ios for 2g models since the 8gb does not have the new hardware only the newer ones.
  6. GAM3RADDIKT3D

GAM3RADDIKT3D New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thnx iGary and helikido. I had no idea the 3g 8 gig's were still based on the 2g hardware. Definitely an oversight on my part as well as a waste of money. Can't even run Angry Birds correctly. Should have just spent the extra hundred for another 32gig. Thanks everyone for your quick input.
  7. Jordy CDS

Jordy CDS Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah, I found that out the hard way. They were actually advertising it like 3G's at Best Buy and everything so I said oh crap and I got one, I found out it was 2G and I was pissed. Imagine all the features I missed out on that one.
  8. Bigray14719

Bigray14719 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The 8gb MC model is a 2nd gen device.
    The only reason it gets labeled 3rd gen is because it gets a new bootrom.

I have an 2G 8GB MC and I dont notice any lag. Im running on 4.0 with a jailbreak through STAR.

Hopefully greenpoison will add 2g support in the next couple of days and you an restore to 4.1 and use greenpoison