Ipod Touch 3G- Remove Jailbreak questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by locofocos, Jan 31, 2010.

1. locofocos

locofocos New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've been browsing and searching the forums here to find information about jailbreaking my 32gb 3G ipod touch with the 3.1.2 firmware. I understand the difference between a tethered and untethered jailbreak and that I won't be able to perform an untethered jailbreak until some time this summer perhaps. I have some questions about a tethered jailbreak.

Let's say that I use blackra1n to perform a tethered jailbreak. I have some apps that I purchased from the official app store. As far as I can tell, they should still work once I use blackra1n and install Cydia. Once I have jailbroken, can I still use the app store in Itunes and on my ipod to buy legitimate apps? (1) Once jailbroken, there are "illegitimate" app stores. Can I buy apps from one of the jailbreak app stores, remove the jailbreak, (so I can turn off my ipod completely and back on without a computer) and keep the illegitimate apps in my non-jailbroken state? (2)

Itunes has been backing up my Ipod, so I'm not worried about restoring the official apps, music, etc. once I restore back to the official 3.1.2 firmware. I have heard talk about making some sort of complete backup after jailbreaking. Should I do this in the rare case that I might need it at some point in an emergency? If so how should I do it? (3)

As much as I would love to have an untethered jailbreak, I can understand that they want to wait until more people can use it.
  2. videogamefanatic89

videogamefanatic89 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1) yes
    2) no
    3) There is not a COMPLETE backup system, but you can keep regular backups on iTunes (like you are doing), and keep an online list of apps installed with rockapp. Then when you re-jailbreak, you just install and login to Rockapp then go to manage, settings, and restore.
  3. locofocos

locofocos New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks! I've heard that a new firmware has been released. 3.1.3 I believe? I know apple isn't signing firmwares old firmwares, but can you still restore your ipod to 3.1.2?

EDIT 1:
    That answers my question.

EDIT 2:
    I'm on 3.1.2 from the factory, virgin as far as jailbreaking goes. I have gotten the 3.1.3 SHSH for my devices using the Umbrella tool just for safety. I want to get 3.1.2 SHSH so if my device crashes (it shouldn't but I know it could) I still have the option of a tethered jailbreak. Can I use blackrain to get a tethered jailbreak, back up my 3.1.2 SHSH signatures, then go back to 3.1.2 official firmware (no jailbreak at all)? I'm not interested in keeping a tethered jailbreak at the moment, but I would like to keep the ability to turn my ipod off.