iPod Touch 3G mid plate?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Camride, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Camride

Camride New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I just bought a iPod Touch 64GB about 2 weeks ago and already managed to crack the screen.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I bought replacement glass but didn't realize I'd need the mid plate. Looking around the only place I can find it is on eBay and it comes from China (2-4 week delivery to the states). Does anyone know if the 2nd gen mid plate will work in the 3G Touch? Those are much more readily available and it looks like they're almost identical.

Either that or does anyone know where to get a mid plate in the states? I really love my new iPod and I want to get it back up and running asap. Ifixit does not have the 3G mid plate, only the 2G.
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just return the ipod to the store?
  3. Camride

Camride New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why would best buy take back an iPod that I broke? I mean that'd be cool, but I don't see how that would work. Besides, it's apart now. I've got a new screen but no mid plate to put it on since the original one broke getting the screen out.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I really don't know what to tell you. But yeah, Best Buy won't take it back.

My brother cracked his screen, and took it apart himself, and he broke it. Screen won't register taps anymore. So taking it apart is a precarious process, at best.

I'd definitely try getting an estimate from Apple on how much it'd be to fix it. I know Sony would fix a PS3 (no matter what) for $150. Apple <might> have a similar program, but I doubt it.
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

6. Camride

Camride New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No thanks, I'm not spending $200 to fix something that's relatively simple and is only going to cost me about ~$50.

Like I said, I've already got the glass/digitizer and that works fine (already plugged it in and tested it). I just need the mid plate and I'm trying to determine if there is another option besides getting one from China.
  7. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

$50 now, but it may cost you more in the end. So don't come crying on this forum if you bust your iPod beyond repair like I've seen in the past.
  9. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Hem, hem... My brother, for example!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Camride

Camride New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch

I won't, don't worry. I understand the risks of fixing it myself. If I bust it beyond repair I'll sell the parts on eBay and buy a new one.