iPod touch 3g jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ezekeel, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Source: www.twitter.com/geohot

Sounds like geohot actually managed to find an another hole in the 3.1 FW. If this is true there probably will be a jailbreak for the iPod touch 3g and Apple has failed again.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. wasqas716

wasqas716 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    cool. my 3g will be jailbreakable
  3. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Do you not remember the problems there were with the iPod Touch 2G? It was a good amount of time before the 2nd Generation iPod Touch was Jailbroken. Just because the firmware is able to be Jailbroken on the 1st and 2nd Gen, Doesn't mean that it will be just as easy on the 3rd Gen.

With time, It will be Jailbroken... But definitely not right away.
  4. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I am not 100% sure, but I do not think this has anything to do with the iPod touch 3G. This will only apply to current iPhones and iPod touches. He just says his next program called ra1nlessdays or something will support the iPod touch 3G IF he is able to jailbreak it. Regardless, nice find.
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    There are three distinct possibilities. First, he has found another vulnerability in the 3.1 beta iBoot and Apple fixes it until the official 3.1 release, he has found a vulnerability in iBoot and Apple does not fix it or he has found a vulnerability in the bootrom which allows him to disable the ECID check on the lowest possible level. In the first case, the jailbreak might take a while or might not even be possible at all. In the second and third case, you can expect a jailbreak in less than a week.

With 'ra1nydayless 3GSes' he means a 3GS for which you do not have a signed 3.0 IBSS stored away which is needed for the 3.1 jb. This means that he either has found a vulnerability in the 3.1 iBoot or the bootrom. In both cases this also means that the iPod touch 3g can be jailbroken (assuming it has the same bootrom as the 3GS).

If I remember correctly the dev team told geohot to take a look at the bootrom. Maybe this was a hint since they already found a vulnerabilty there. It makes sense not to release it until the ipt3g has been released so Apple does not change the bootrom in the last minute.
  6. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

I think it was geohot who mentioned Apple had the iPhone 3Gs processors manufactured August last year, according to terminal. Based on Development cycles, theres a fair chance Apple were too slow for the iPod...

Here's hoping

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. bryanyeo

bryanyeo New Member

the firmware is jailbreakable, but not the ipod. It takes some time for the dev-team to find a way to jailbreak it.
  8. King Chronic

King Chronic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    they don't do iPod touch stuff, and seeing as chrnoicdev and geohot have our own (different) toolboxes of hacks in our arsenal, I'd say the only thing to worry about would be if 24kPwn is going to last for this bootrom or will Apple fix it...a tethered jailbreak will definitely come ASAP, infact we are going to work as hard as we can to try making it a 0day release.
  9. coolio1234

coolio1234 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    "4 months"

you forgot that in ur quote
  10. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sounds like you already found another vulnerability in the 3.1 beta iBoot. Considering that Apple just cut it down in size to remove vulnerabilities this is pretty impressive work from your side while quite embarrassing for Apple.