iPod Touch 3G Help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Despoil0405, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Despoil0405

Despoil0405 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So two weeks ago I purchased the latest 32GB iPod Touch with the updated hardware directly from the Apple Store.

When I received it, the iPod Touch was defective so I contacted Apple Customer Support and they said to just ship it back and I would get a replacement. I received the replacement which is flawless, other than two glaring issues I would like opinions on.

I originally purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan and when I called to have it transfered from the defective iTouch to the new iTouch it was already registered with another individual. So I just took the assumption that perhaps someone accidentally entered my serial number when trying to register another iPod Touch.

But now after using it for two days, I have noticed that my battery only lasts roughly three hours after a full charge. What I have been doing is playing Deer Hunter 3D & Above and Beyond Air Combat. After three hours of continual use I encounter a battery warning. (20% Battery Reached)

My settings are:

- WiFi Off
    - Bluetooth Off
    - Location Services Off
    - Brightness at 50% with Auto Sensor enabled

So I'm starting to wonder if the brand new iPod Touch I received is instead a refurbished model? It came via Fedex in a sealed case so I thought it was new, but I'm unaware if there refurb packaging is identical to new ones or not.

Any help is appreciated and thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gamepro127

gamepro127 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Weird, Because I have the exact same model as you (32gb 3rd generation) and with only 15% remaining, wifi on, bluetooth off, brightness at 25% and auto sensor ON I was able to download 2 game demos, beat 1 one time and beat the other two times, delete them both and surf the web for 30 minutes till my battery went dead.

You should call Apple and tell them about this problem and if thats the normal battery life.
  3. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    the new iPod touch 3G (i know because i have the same model) only lasts for 3 hours and 20 when playing games...well at least that is what my tests show...im good a calculating battery...i also calculated battery for surfing the web with wifi and came with the result of 9 hours exactlly
  4. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Mine managed to last about 3hours before i got an "under 20%" warning when playing zombieville USA. I would say thats about right if you're using app's for a long period of time.
  5. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    From modmyi. Looks like its the firmware.

6. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    interesting, hopefully apple can find a fix for the battery problem. I keep charging mine everyday so i dont notice that it's draining at a really fast rate. I did notice that around 3 hours of zombieville drained my battery.. but that should be no surprise.
  7. Despoil0405

Despoil0405 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I just wanted to give everyone an update and say thanks for the replies. The firmware not properly handling the new hardware is definitely interesting and quite possible...I'll keep an eye on that for sure.

After depleting my new iTouch to 20% and recharging it roughly 10-12 times I have noticed the battery getting better with regards to longevity. I believe yesterday I played Zenonia for roughly 4 hours without even hitting the 20% mark. If the firmware issue is true I'm looking forward to even more battery life in graphic intensive applications.

I also bought a Kensington Battery Pack for only 40 bucks which gives me an additional 6-8 hours of video intensive applications and its really small. I love it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    And all the ipods they send you back are refurbished, just to let you know....
  9. Despoil0405

Despoil0405 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Within a certain (very small) window your iPod is replaced with a brand new unit. I believe it is 14 days but it could be even shorter than that. So I didn't receive a refurb thankfully. (It arrived DOA as well, another reason I wasn't issued a refurb)