ipod touch 3g gpu vs the hd zune gpu.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by helikido, Mar 7, 2010.

1. helikido

helikido New Member

ok guys, first off i thought that the nvidia tegra is the most powerful gpu out there on mobile devices, like ipt. but i've been reading about this deaper and i have read an article that said the ipt 3g has a slight betterr gpu than the zune hd, is that true??
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    ok, the tegra is NOT a gpu. Its a combination of a CPU + GPU + board + etc.

As for performance, The PowerVR SGX 535 in the ipod touch 3g is a bit more powerful. It has shader cores, vertex support, and higher MHz speed. I would say that the iPod GPU beats the Zune GPU by 10-25% in better performance.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    ^ Exactly. The Tegra is System-On-a-Chip (SOC). The PowerVR SGX 535 is more powerful (though only slightly) than the Tegra first generation.

But, there is a second generation Tegra. Which can output video at 1080p. And is a beast.
  4. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    yes, the tegra 2 is godly. nothing portable comes close to its power. too bad it's only found in big tablets and some linux netbooks. it may be in the next Zune HD, but it would be pretty underclocked.
  5. helikido

helikido New Member

ahhh!!!!! and i was studdering to buy a zune rather than the ipt, forget it, now i'm sure i'm getting a ipt. though i wish they have support for 720p vid output. thanks guys.

btw, you guys think the psps gpu is stronger yhen the ipt's. reason why the psp has better graphics in games?
  6. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The PSP can push more polygons per second (33 million vs 28 million), and has a higher pixel fill rate (664 Megapixels/s vs 400 Megapixels/s). So the graphics core is more powerful than the iPod but the CPU is slower (333 MHz vs 600 MHz), and of course the iPod is more versatile and smaller.
  7. linkiboy

linkiboy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Also: the PSP has hardware level access in its API that the iPhone SDK does not allow, allowing for more efficient code to be written.

Plus the PSP is a dedicated gaming system and it has multimillion dollar budgets for many of its games whereas a lot of iPhone apps are one-man projects.
  8. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Well, the PSP has a greater polygon rate and fill rate, but that doesn't make a difference since most PSP games don't even use 5 million polygons/ a second.

Now the PSP graphics have more overall power, but the ipod graphics have shader cores and vertex cores, so it basically evens out. you'll get more draw distance and slightly more detail on a PSP, but things will look shinier and reflective and have real-looking shadows on an ipod.

Overall, the are evenly matched.
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @ iPwn
    what you are saying is only possible on the ipod touch 3 and iphone 3gs

and games have to be developed to take full advantage of the hardware, but thats is far for happening since devs want to support older devices also

psp games still looks far better in the graphics/physics department
  10. helikido

helikido New Member

sucks cuz i'd like to game on a ipt 3g