iPod touch 3G can Play Full-HD.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mappy4ever, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I tried a couple of videos... Just like Zune HD ... New ipod touch and old... iPhone 3GS can both play HD Videos... iPhone its old but iPod touch i haven't seen anyone talking about it... I tested all sort of videos and its stable now in iPhone at 3.0 it was very buggy.... Now it works even though the screen is not capable of FULL HD but it defenately support HD now! I am sure an accesory is on the way to output HD vidoe on HD Tv... That will close another advantage door for Zune Hd...

What you guys think?

Just a basic test :-
    Go to podcasts in itunes store ... Download Something with HD! like Cnet Top5 HD.

The quality has a big difference....
    I think itunes wont sync HD files though... Not sure about this.
  2. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I havent been able to put any 1080p .mp4 files on my touch yet. Wont sync. and of course mkv's & wmvs wont work either.I need to find a decent converter which lets you specify resolution.. then i'd be able to test.
  3. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

weiphone used SSH and iFile to show that 1080 works
  4. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i have a 720p rip of starship troopers. I tried it out on my ipod and its got the same playback quality as my imac: lags every now and then. so, it CAN play it, just not perfectly.
  5. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    sweet

Please Register or Log in to view images

testing the podcast thing now, wish apple would bring out an update to make it smooth

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well, i don't think its about the software. i mean, my imac can't play HD any better. i'm pretty sure its about the hardware, and the ipod touch doesn't necessarily have the power to play full HD and full quality. think of it as a netbook in that respect
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Its not only the CPU that is required to decode h264 encoded HD. The GPU could also help, which is probably what the Apple devices are doing. Just like what the Zune HD does with 720p content. Netbooks can't do it properly because they don't have GPUs that decide HD content. The only thing holding back the iPhone and iPod touch 3G/3GS from playing/outputting HD content is the software. The hardware is completely capable. Its just the software that is holding it back.
  8. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  9. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Does anyone know if Apple restricts developers from releasing software that can play HD on iPhone/iPod touch? (probs a stupid question but oh well)

any if it is spftware. whats stopping apple from releasing?
  10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Software as in, the firmware itself probably. I doubt that its anywhere in the SDK or anything like that.