iPod touch 3g BRICKED!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alvin21, Feb 12, 2010.

1. alvin21

alvin21 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ok here's the problem, my friend got an ipod touch 3g and then he decided to jailbrak it using QuickPwn so he downloaded QuickPwn then he followed the instructions. When the the jailbreaking was done QuickPwn told him to reboot his iPod so he turned it off then he turned it on but it wouldn't so he called me and told me what happened then I told him to go to Recovery mode but it won't because his iPod touch didn't even turn on then I told him to connect it to the computer (He's using windows) while holding down the home button but iTunes doesn't recognize it and windows pops up a message saying that the device cannot be recognized.

Now he's thinking if he could open up he's iPod touch and replace the hard drive (where the firmware is installed) with another hard drive.

Then he told me that he would pay me $50 if I can fix it and then I told him okay (but if I can't then he told me to just give it back). What do you think I should do?
  2. LuffyZoro

LuffyZoro New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, the problem is, Quickpwn was a jailbreaking method for 2.x, so it wouldn't work with a iPod Touch 3G. Also, I wouldn't advise replacing the hard drive
  3. MrDodi

MrDodi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    1st.
    you cant remove the harddrive , cause there is no harddrive . Its a Chip.. (flashdrive)

2nd. Put the ipod in DFU Mode and restore through itunes.
    If windows wont recognize it. Reinstall iTunes and Apple Mobile Device drivers.

3rd. goddamn , why does every 3rd person thing a ipod or iphone is able to brick .. next time he should read some tutorials ..
  4. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPod touch has flash memory and no physical HDD.

Edit:
    Whoops a few seconds too late.
  5. alvin21

alvin21 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The problem is I can't put it in DFU Mode cause it won't start or charge or anything.
    BTW What will happen if I change the flash drive or the chip?
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    • Break up your posts with some punctuation. I nearly had an aneurysm reading that

Please Register or Log in to view images

• He won't be able to use QuickPwn to jailbreak an iPod touch 3G. As mentioned above it is for 2.2.* firmwares, which never existed on the iPt3G.

• If he is on fw 3.1.2 he probably used blackra1n, which is a tethered jailbreak. 'Tethered jailbreak' means every time he powers down his device he will need to connect it to the computer via the USB cable and run blackra1n again to boot up the iPod touch 3G. If he wants you to remove the jailbreak then just boot it up using blackra1n and once booted restore through iTunes to 3.1.2 (v.important not 3.1.3 as you can't jailbreak it)

• If he is on 3.1.3, then there is no jailbreak for iPod touch 3G. Tell him to put it into DFU or restore mode and restore though iTunes.

• Tell him to make an account at ifans.com and sort his own cr@p out here. If he can't be bothered to read or understand then possibly he shouldn't be trying to hack expensive electronics in the first place.

• iPod touches and iPhones do not contain hard-drives. They contain flash memory (nand) chips. These chips are hard soldered and cannot be replaced. Anyway the flash memory is not his problem.

• So give him his iPod touch 3G back and tell him to enroll at iPod touch fans and send him the link here. Alternatively I'll go halves on that 50 Ben Franklins with you when you fix it from the tips here

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sounds like a tethered jailbreak. Connect to computer with USB cable and run blackra1n again to boot it up.
  8. alvin21

alvin21 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sorry for that. I was rushing when I typed that post

I know that but my friend didn't

I know that too cause I use blackra1n.

I won't be able to restore it to itunes because it's broken and apple stopped signing the 3.1.2 firmware

That I will do.

If the flash memory isn't replaceable then doesn't that mean that it's completely broken and can't be fixed anymore? And if the Flash memory is not the problem then what is?

Doesn't Work.
  9. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

10. alvin21

alvin21 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)