iOS 4.2 ipod touch 3g 8gb

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by niknips, Dec 23, 2012.

1. niknips

niknips New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanks for reply, can't find the post I was reading yesterday with regard to your post advising Absinthe over Redsnow. It wasn't important just wanted to try and understand the reason why one method is preferred to another. Your explaination was great, however I always jailbreak from a clean ios update with nothing on my device other than the stock apps. All of my music, photo's etc are backed up on my pc. As I have no data for Absinthe to move on either of my pre A5 devices is this still a safe option or can I still run into problems ? Would your advice still be to jailbreak with Redsnow ?
  2. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Ok. Redsn0w is still a more developed and supported tool, and also includes many other useful features for all kinds of things. Absinthe 2.0 was created just for the 5.1.1 jailbreak and nothing else, and is no longer updated. It is safe in that if something goes wrong you can DFU restore and try again, but the likelihood that something will go wrong the first try is considerable. The ramdisk method is very well established and is used for most other jailbreaks, and the likelihood of a problem is extremely low. Just use redsn0w.
  3. niknips

niknips New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanks again, I will post an update for other forum members once I have updated and jailbroken. Your assistance and knowledge has been invaluable. Happy new year and long may this forum continue to support our community.
  4. niknips

niknips New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Stumbled at the first hurdle. Unable to update ipod touch to 5.1.1. Itunes returning unknown error (1394) on update. Have tried the update several times. I have changed my hosts file from 74.208.10.249 to 74.208.105.171 but still returns the same error code. This shouldn't be an issue as I updated my other ipod successfully only a couple of days ago. Running win 7 64bit with itunes 10.5.0.142. Don't want to download itunes 11 and don't see why this would be needed as my other ipod updated no problem. My device is currently on ios 4.1 and is jailbroken with Greenpois0n. How to proceed ?
  5. ValleyForge

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Rename the hosts file to hosts.bak so it doesn't interfere; you don't want any redirections going on with iTunes. Click restore without selecting any IPSW.
  6. niknips

niknips New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanks, changed host file to 74.208.10.249 and renamed to hosts.bak. Worked first time, now updated to 5.1.1. On reboot of ipod, device froze during set up screen. Managed to bring ipod back out of this by doing a hard reset. Successfully set initial preferences and all looking good. Problem however with Redsnow. Redsnow detects ipod correctly. I am selecting jailbreak with ramdisk method. As soon as ipod is put into dfu, Redsnow reports an unexpected error error with SHSH blobs. I have also tried to fetch the SHSH blobs with Redsnow, but I encounter the same eror when entering dfu. Your advice please....
  7. ValleyForge

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Weird...I think you should restore again with iTunes, then jailbreak again.
  8. niknips

niknips New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Ok will give it a go, should I get itunes to backup before I restore ? I have nothing on the device other than stock apps.
  9. ValleyForge

Device:
    Nexus 4
    No, set it up "as a new iPod".
  10. niknips

niknips New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Still no joy. Ipod restored in itunes successfully as a new ipod. No issues booting. Initail settings on ipod set without any issues. Apps downloaded from app store on ipod and successfully synced with itunes, and then deleted from ipod before proceeding with jailbreak. Running Redsnow win 0.9.15b3 as an administrator on win 7 64bit. Ipod detected correctly by Redsnow. Ramdisk mode selected and proceed to jailbreak. Error ocours as soon as ipod is put into dfu. I have also tried running Redsnow in win xp compatibility mode, as I know this is used when running Greenpois0n on win 7 x64, but still results in the same error. Your thoughts please.... I have not used Redsnow before, what is the other option that Redsnow gives to jailbreak from a restore ? Is Absinthe 2.04 an option you would now consider, or am I likely to end up with more problems ? How best to proceed ?