Ipod Touch 3g 64gb got wet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by link07, Jul 10, 2010.

1. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I put my iPod touch under a stream of water to wash off a mark (i know not a smart idea but i did it) then i wiped it off and realized that the screen had gone really dark, i then shut it off after it having a dark screen for awhile, but now it will not turn back on.

this all happened 4-5 hrs ago

i just put it in rice, any suggestions

I've talked to the apple people and they wont cover it so it'll cost me $199 + shipping, so any ideas to get it back

*I'm keeping it in rice until Saturday or Sunday (next week) because I'm out of town until then

again i was being stupid
  2. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, you're an idiot!

Please Register or Log in to view images

And I don't really think that you're helping your iPod much if you just throw it into a bowl of rice. The rice will only help if you take apart your iPod and put the two parts into the rice. This way the rice will soak up the water that is INSIDE the iPod. Since Apple said that they aren't gonna cover it, then I guess you don't really have much to lose. So I would suggest looking up a video tutorial on Google that shows you how to take apart AND put back together your iPod. This method is not guaranteed to make you iPod come back to life, but it's better than nothing. Also, if this doesn't work, you could probably just sell off it's parts (i.e. battery) on eBay or something. This could help cover a little bit of the cost for a new iPod if you need it.
  3. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    We really need to get a mandatory read sticky about getting idevices wet, its like getting someone to the ER.
  4. Naveen121

Naveen121 Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Agreed!

5. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ok thanks
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    im thinking about taking it into a ipod repair shop i got in town
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    but if it's more then 199 + shipping I think I'm going to go with the apple thing because i paid for the extended warranty and the new iPod would be covered i was told
  6. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Back and it boots to the connect to iTunes screen; touch screen doesn't work(as in i cant slide to shut off i have to do a hard shut off),

but iTunes says i have to enter the pass-code into my device first
  7. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Don't tell me. You're the same guy who got his tongue stuck to a metal pole in Chicago during the winter because you wanted to see what the ice tasted like, right? ;-)
  8. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    no Ive only been to Chicago one and it was during the summer; my sister probably found someway of doing to though
  9. Snowballwarrior

Snowballwarrior Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Why would you use apple for the 199 + shipping when you could buy a new one for the same price. The prices are at the bottom left of the page http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
  10. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    digitizer is defect -> you need to replace the whole cover...costs of that are around 50-60 U$D...of course only if you do it yourself.

unfortunately you don't live in germany - otherwise I could've offered my help to you...my price for a whole exchange of the cover would be around 33 EUR and therefore around 40 dollars which is pretty cheap in comparison to apple's 199 U$D