iOS 3.1 iPod Touch 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 POSSIBLE?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by quantass, Sep 8, 2010.

1. quantass

quantass New Member

My iPod Touch 2G 3.1.1 has been jailbroken but i would like to upgrade to the jailbreak 3.1.2. When i attempt to upgrade the firmware with iTunes i get the message:

The iPod could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build

I did some googling and there was mention of ECID and SHSH and such. Confusing stuff. I just want to know is it POSSIBLE OR NOT to upgrade my existing firmware to 3.1.2 (or better), and if so how?
  2. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is possible but it depends on your circumstances. Search for 'tinyumbrella' on google and download the program on the site, run the program with your ipod plugged in, click display shsh. it will tell you what firmware you can restore to. if 3.1.2 is there then click start tss server, and restore as normal. Should work. If tinyumbrella says you dont have the shshs then you cant restore to that firmware
  3. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    That only works while apple is still signing firmware's and they aren't signing 3.1.2 anymore. On a 2g you should be able to upgrade without SHSH's. But check cydia and see if it has SHSH's on file for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 for your device if it does follow the downgrade tutorial but point it to 3.1.2 and redirect iTunes to saurik's server.
  4. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you not understand tinyumbrella?
  5. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yes do you?, unless I am mistaken; it uses your UCID and pretends to be iTunes asking for a FW update. Apple sends back the SHSH's and tinyumbrella saves tham as a .shsh file. Cydia also does it the same way.
  6. quantass

quantass New Member

When i click the Display SHSHs, TinyUmbrella pops up a window and displays nothing for devices that can be restored. Yes, my ipod touch 2g 3.1.1 is listed under the main screen dropdown (beneath SAVE MY SHSH).

check cydia and see if it has SHSH's on file for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 for your device

I'm not sure how exactly to accomplish this. I did follow some other instructions about modifying my HOSTS file (Windows 7) but no luck. On an earlier firmware change (to 2.2.1 only 2 days ago) i did see a message in Cydia saying Make My Life Easier and i clicked it. Nothing happened and i havent see it since.
  7. metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight New Member

8. quantass

quantass New Member

my ipod touch 2g is NOT an MC model. The model # is: MB528C. If I'm not mistaken the first 2 letters is what you're referring to?

I was able to downgrade to firmware 3.0 and jailbreak but still cant upgrade to 3.1.2.
  9. dydo

dydo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a MB device and I also attempted to restore to 3.1.2 but got that same error. It seems apple is somehow blocking the restores to older firmwares. My 2G restored to a sn0wbreeze custom ipsw though. It's running 3.1.2. I am currently jailbroken on it. It should work for you too.
  10. quantass

quantass New Member

SUCCESS!!

Looks like Dydo was right.

My iPod Touch 2G v3.0 (jailbreak) could not install v3.1.2. It always complained about "device isn't eligible for the requested build". From all the above talk it seemed it was impossible to install 3.1.2 onto my device because of the SHSH issue. Dydo suggested sn0wbreeze.

I used sn0wbreeze with my downloaded v3.1.2 firmware (not jailbreak) and it created a custom 3.1.2 file. With my ipod touch running like normal (at home screen) i opened itunes 9 and did a SHIFT+RESTORE (Windows 7) and pointed it to the sn0wbreeze custom 3.1.2. Itunes right away said Extracting (instead of the prompt it will verify with Apple). After a bit it began installing the firmware.

Version 3.1.2 is now on my ipod touch and appears jailbreak (Cydia is already installed).

All seems good for now.

Big thanks to Dydo.