iPod Touch 2nd Generation Cases

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chivasgarcia, Nov 26, 2008.

1. chivasgarcia

chivasgarcia New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    It's been nearly two months since the release of the 2nd Generation iPod Touch in September. Now that they have made many cases for this iPod Touch 2g, its time to review a few of the top cases for the iPod. I will review the one i have since it is the one i can actually review and be honest about and that is the Naked Case by Case-mate. Feel free to ask any questions about this case and suggest any other cases for people that are still seeking a good case for their iPod. Anyways, this is what the Naked Case looks like.

Please Register or Log in to view images

PROS:
    * Patent pending electrostatic membrane allows complete touch-through access to screen.
    * Case provides full protection for screen and iPod.
    * Cutouts for full access to all iPod Touch controls.
    * Crafted of black and clear acrylic.
    * Ambient light sensors still functional.
    * Guaranteed to accommodate Apple brand headphones
    * Has a snug fit
    * Allows the beauty of the iPod to shine through case, while it is being fully protected.

CONS:

*The fact that the power button is a little bit difficult to reach

OVERALL:
    GREAT CASE, TOUCH THROUGH SCREEN PLUS GREAT PROTECTION FOR ENTIRE IPOD MAKES UP FOR THE HARD TO REACH BUTTONS!

IT COSTS $29.99 and they charge no tax + FREE shipping. You can get it at

http://www.case-mate.com/ipod/2nd-Generation-iPod-Touch/ipod-touch-case-naked-2nd-gen

RATING:
    9.8/10 (EXCELLENT)

Switcheasy's RebelTouch Review made by MapleLeafMenace

Comes with:

- 2 screen protectors (and that little plastic squeegee to help get airbubbles out)

- 1 microfiber cloth. Pretty straightforward. Nice to have a spare.

- Modified dock adapter. Not sure what the point of this thing is, but it's that little white...doohicky that comes with the Touch itself, only this one's big enough for the Touch in-case.

- 1 little stand thing for holding the Touch sideways at two different angles depending on your preference. Kinda nice to have, but it's not going to get used a whole lot.

- 1 3.5mm headphone adapter. This I thought was just plain considerate of them. It's a little extension of maybe an inch to be used with elbow headphones as some may not plug in all the way through the case. I don't need it with my elbow headphones - the case actually helps them to fit even more snugly. But it's still great that they thought of it.

- 1..."plug" thing for the computer port. Just a little piece made of the same rubber as the case that you fit into the iPod's port to keep dust out. Another nice little surprise. Pretty easy to get in, stays in very well, and it's pretty easy to just press your fingernail under the edge and it comes out very smoothly.

Aside from that, you get the case (of course), and some instructions even though it's pretty idiot-proof. Being my first time applying one of those crystal screen protectors, I blithely went and touched the adhesive side without thinking and so made it impossible to get a bubble-free application. *Sigh* Oh well, live and learn. The second attempt went off without a hitch and took about a tenth as long.

Fit:

Excellent fit. Almost too snug for ease of getting the Touch in there. It takes some doing and a little patience, but it's by no means hard. Both the rubber case and the spine come up and over the edges of the Touch a little bit so the actually ends up being a little recessed which is very nice in case you happen to put it on your table facedown. I'm also thinking this adds some protection should it happen to fall facedown - barring having it fall on a rock or anything (god forbid!), that lip part of the case would keep the screen from actually hitting the ground. Very thoughtful design. It also covers but leaves access to the sleep button and volume rocker. Very nice.

So here's the summary:

PROS

- VERY snug fit - that sucker isn't moving unless I want it to move.
    - Makes the sleep button a little stiffer. Some may not like this but I do, so figured I'd mention it.
    - Great feel - no chance I'm gonna drop that unless someone hits my hand.
    - Tough material
    - Keeps the Pod pretty thin. Not bulky in the least. I might even be able to squeeze it into an armband for working out. I'll let you guys know if I decide to pick one up.
    - Very obviously designed with the iPod user in mind. They thought of just about everything, and then included it.
    - Good price (25 bucks)
    - Shipped pretty quickly considering the time of year. Under a week.
    - Defect policy - same as with your Pod, if you get a defective one just ship it back and they'll replace it. At least that was the policy the last time I checked although I don't see why they would change it.

CONS

- Fits almost too snug for the screen protector. Around the edges I'm noticing that it has been pulled up by the ribs a little. Doesn't bother me too much, and could quite probably be due to my being a n00b at applying said covers. If I remember, I will update this the next time I replace my cover and let you know if it's the case or my inexperience.
    - Can be a little tough to remove. But whether this is really a con or not is in debate - really, when would you want to remove a protective case from your ipod other than once in a blue moon?

...That's all I can think of for cons right now. You'll sure hear about it if any come up.

Conclusion:

Very satisfied with the Rebel Touch. It was definitely made with the Touch user in mind, and very likely even by the Touch user. As I said, they thought of everything I would have thought of. The case is not only very well-made and durable, but basically comes "pre-patched" with all the little trinkets you might eventually think were lacking if they weren't there. Even the stuff that won't see much use - it's the fact that they thought of it. It's the little things, right?
  2. JAD

JAD New Member

Thanks for reviewing this, I've been wondering if they were any good.

3. chivasgarcia

chivasgarcia New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    No problem!!! I'm definitely pleased with this product, and I hope that others purchase it as well, as it really is a great protective case! Again, feel free to ask any questions and i'd be glad to answer them

4. mapleleafmenace

mapleleafmenace New Member

Great review! If nobody beats me to it, I'll be posting for my RebelTouch when it arrives.

How snugly does it fit your ipod?
  5. chivasgarcia

chivasgarcia New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    It fits very snugly!!! It offers great protection and the membrane for the front cover is so awesome!! It protects the front screen and you can't even tell its screen is being protected!
  6. mapleleafmenace

mapleleafmenace New Member

What's the difference between that electrostatic stuff and the standard crystal-something screen protectors? Is there a difference in responsiveness?

edit: sorry I didn't include this in my last post - just thought of it.

7. chivasgarcia

chivasgarcia New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Haha, it's fine!!! The difference between the two is that the electrostatic membrane is thicker and offers better protection!!! there is no delay in responsiveness!
  8. JAD

JAD New Member

How does it go on the ipod? The screen front part I mean. And how thick is it? That's the part I was wondering the most about. The other case I'm considering is the Rebel Touch (that's the one with the spine, right?) so I'm glad that's got an upcoming review. At the moment I'm using a leather "book fold" type one from Belkin and I like it ok but I need better access while keeping the protection and enough padding for "drop proofing".

The Naked case looks to do most of that except I'm not sure how drop proof it would make it. I mean casual, fall off the bed drop proofing, not slamming from a roof type.

9. shafsta

shafsta New Member

How do i play my ipod touch in my car? My monster cable for my old ipod doesnt seem compatable
  10. chivasgarcia

chivasgarcia New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    There is two parts to the naked case:
    -the front membrane (about 1mm thick)
    -the back shell

To put the case on you simply place the ipod on the front membrane, and slide the back shell on! Its very simple.

As for the drop proof part, i've actually dropped my iPod several times but thanks to this case, my iPod has been saved from about 4 feet drops! If you go to the link on the initial thread post, you can see a video of how it works.