iPod Touch 2nd gen unresponsive after "Reset all Settings"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by midnight_toker, Mar 22, 2010.

1. midnight_toker

midnight_toker New Member

so a friend of mine was messing around with my ipod touch 2g that I had just jailbroken it to 3.1.2. I didn't have anything on it apart from Cydia and Rock. While he was messing around with it I guess he thought it would be fun to press the "reset all settings" thin in Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings and now it's been stuck on the apple logo and spinning wheel with the occasional restart for like 8+ hours. I've tried using ziphone to enter recovery and DFU, neither of which worked because it couldn't detect my ipod.
    I was planning on selling it to somebody tomorrow so this is kinda worrying and I'm wondering if I might have done some permanent damage/bricked it.

I've tried manually going into DFU or recovery mode using the home and power/sleep button method and all that happens is the screen will go black for 2-3 seconds and then the apple logo pops back up again and starts doing the spinning circle/restart thing constantly.
    I also tried blackra1n just for kicks to see if anything would happen and got nothing.
    iTunes also doesn't recognize it at all, ever.
  2. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've had this boot cycle before. It sucks.

There's a very specific time (a gap of 2-3 seconds) when the screen goes black and the apple logo reappears. You HAVE to hold the home button in this window to get it to successfully enter DFU mode. The firmware is broken, so the iPod can't boot. This happened to me almost a year ago now, so I can't exactly remember where this window is, but I'm leaning towards 1-2 seconds after the screen goes black. Try different timings, and have your iPod plugged into your computer while this is going on so when you get it, iTunes will tell you.

Good luck!
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    OR

1. make sure ipods off
    2. hold home button
    3. plug in

you should see connect to itunes screen

4. restore
  4. midnight_toker

midnight_toker New Member

thanks aced6, I managed to get the right window. took a few tries, but I got it. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.