Ipod Touch 2nd gen dock connector problem!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by buggy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. buggy

buggy New Member

Hi there
    My daughter has managed to damage the pins somehow on the dock connector of her Ipod Touch 2nd Gen(out of warranty).
    I was wondering how easy are they to replace and is there any soldering involved?

Please Register or Log in to view images

The taking apart of the Ipod Touch doesn't concern me as i have done this sought of things before just not sure about dock connector.
    Have seen just the dock connector for sale online
    Thank you
  2. buggy

buggy New Member

Anyone got any advice.
    Thanks
  3. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Don't double post, its against the rules. The pins are very delicate, I would imagine they have most of the circuitry connected to it, I would send it up to apple just incase, I wouldn't want my precious going un-syncable.
  4. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

I wonder though... If its out of warranty. Would it cost him to send to appple to repair it. Would it cost more to fix that part.... Would he be better off getting a new ipod touch? On top im sure if it was in warranty... Apple wouldnt cover it. Cause his daughter damage it.
  5. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well we already took the pill and jailbroke. SO lying to them and saying it won't plug in or it doesn't work may be achieveable, but only if there are no 3rd party apps on it. It may cost up to $200 if its more than 100 buy a refurbished or wait for new one.
  6. buggy

buggy New Member

Got it fixed,good as new!!!!!!!!!!

Good News!!!!!!
    Got it fixed for £45 inc delivery...........

7. bfinoradin

bfinoradin New Member

whodunit

Did you end up going with Apple for the repair, and were you in warranty? I have a 2nd gen with a broken dock connector but it is most definitely not under warranty.
  8. eight0

eight0 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    good ques.... i wonder myself because i'm having a backlight prob and don't mind restoring it back to 3.1.2 (or 4.0.. got blobs) before i send it out for repair but if there's another route that's be great........ BTW bfinoradin i've also got a dock connector prob (mine's got a triangular chip off the right side... weird too... it won't charge in my car with my monster fm trans, but will if i use an apple white cable... and NO other issues syncing...) but i really can't afford to fix TOO much.... or anything if possible!

well any ideas are great as always... thanks. -eight0
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have done this repair

Hi I'm tommy and I have done this repair many times. It requires very delicate surface mount soldering of the 30 pin connector. I charge my customers around $60. I practiced a few times on some very damaged touches before doing one for real. you can quickifix(at)gmail.com for more info or help.
  10. Picu97

Picu97 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Get a new one?