ipod touch 2nd gen battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by red troop, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red troop

red troop New Member

hey guys go easy on me ive only just signed up lol. this looks like a good site anyways for info and help on the ipod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

i was just wondering why my battery life sucks so much? i dunno if its just me but i fully charged my ipod, i then watched about 4 or 5 vids on youtube and my battery was dead! im not been funny but surly the battery should last longer than that? each vid went on for just under 10mins so thats about 50mins in total, thats not even an hour

i heard the 2nd gen ipod touches have a superior battery life compared to the original touches so i couldnt imagine how many vids you could watch on them. is there any applications that drain battery life, or somethin i need to turn off to save battery? any help would be great thanks.

Red Troop
  2. viperboy1991

viperboy1991 New Member

when you first got it did you fully charge it and then let it drain fully and then fully recharge it? If not your battery is screwed and your never gonna get good life out of it. The only trick i can think of that MIGHT work is draining it till it will not boot. Recharge...Drain it again till it will not boot...recharge again and then see if that fixes it. I don't know if it will but its worth a shot. You may just have to take it back to the apple store and tell them that your battery is not holding a charge.
  3. red troop

red troop New Member

hmm when i got it i did fully charge it but i never drained the whole battery it got to about 20 percent and then i just charged it again. to be honest tho surly this should have been covered in the instructions? it diddnt tell me anything like this, i mean thats important info.

thanks for the info anyway viperboy, ill fully charge it then drain the battery until it turns off, then fully charge it and let you know the results.

Red Troop
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4

dont listen to him. Draining the battery is just a common myth and doesn't affect the battery life.
  5. red troop

red troop New Member

i see

what would you suggest then hitman?
  6. ipodtouch4me

ipodtouch4me New Member

I concur with viperboy, sound like the battery is not holding up the charge. Lithium-ion polymer battery is design to have no memory unlike the old Nicad, meaning you should be able to charge this battery any time with out fully discharging it - however managing your battery correctly do extend the life cycle of the battery. It is a good idea to fully charge the battery and use it till it tells you it need to be charge, this way the cycle is reduce & the life of the battery last awhile.
    I can watch two full lenght movies, play games, surf the net & listen to music for a few hours before 20% of the battery warning comes on. The 2G battery last a little while than the 1st generation.

Reg
  7. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

hmm this is really odd. What type of charger do you use?

When charging a battery, it is best to use the smallest amprage as possible to charge your battery. Batteries tend to hold a charge longer when charged with low amprage.

Also when the iPod is hot the semiconductors in the iPod have a lower resistance which in returne allows more current to flow make battery life drop.
  8. mrdurden

mrdurden New Member

well i have mixed feelings about the battery, it depends on the circumstance. ive been doing some tests and i get the following on my 2g 32G Touch:
    *tests where done at 70% brightness with fetch location and wifi off (except for wifi test).

Continuos Wifi (refreshing forum page about every 30 seconds and about 10 minutes of youtube) - 3:45 minutes

Video (volume at half) - 5:35

Games (koi pond and like 5 songs on tap tap) - 3:04

Music - havent tested yet, but from the usage ive given it so far it give it around the apple estimate of 34 to 36 hours.

So for me, video and music is alright, but app usage and wifi is pretty poor. i dont know if there is anything wrong with my battery, but my results seem to coincide with others ive seen posted, from what ive seen video processing and wifi suck the crap out of the Ipods battery. I mostly use it for music and internet, and can easily hold a charge for a day before hitting 20% mark if i limit myself to email and light internet usage.
    Adrian D
  9. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

The funny thing is, non of these video times are even close to what apple says what they should be.
  10. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G

yeah ur "SUPPOSED" to get like 36 hours of music and 6 straight hours of video right outta the box. no need 2 turn brightness down or the wifi off or anything... so yeah. weird. hopefully, they recall these and give us new ones with upgraded memory (so if u had a 16 recall, then they'd give u a 32.) that'd be pretty cool
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.