Ipod Touch 2gen won't restore and update to fw 4.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aspecter, Jul 2, 2010.

1. aspecter

aspecter New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hi,

My ipod touch 2gen 32gb perfectly ran on fw 3.1.3 until i yesterday decided to update the ipod to fw. 4.0. I had of course to update itunes as well. I pressed that i wanted to restore and update my ipod. It said that it was preparing the ipod for restoring, and then itunes said something like: The iPod "[username]" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1601).

I followed this guide from apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38633 and tried to restore and update again. This time itunes showed this error: iPod "[username]" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604). (After this one, a ipodupdaterlog showed up in notepad. I can post it if it is necessary to solve the problem)

The ipod is now in recovery mode or what it is called and won't restore. i've tried to restore the ipod with a different computer and older itunes, but then i got this error: iPod "[username]" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

The device has previous been jailbroken on 3.1.2 with blackrain, and on 3.1.3 with redsnow, but it has been restored and sat up as new, if that matters.

Anyone who knows what can be done, or what happended?
    Thanks for answers

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Try a DFU restore, that should fix your problem.
  3. aspecter

aspecter New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Okay, the ipod was in recovery mode (it said connect with itunes, and it was a picture of the itunes logo and a usb cabel).
    I tried to hold the power and home button down until the apple logo showed, and the home button, and the connect with itunes picture showed on the screen.

Is the ipod in dfu mode now?
  4. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No, that isn't in DFU mode.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hold the sleep/wake button and the home button together for 10 seconds while the device is connected to your pc. Then, release the sleep/wake button and hold the home button for another 10 seconds, or until itunes detects it's in recovery mode. If your devices screen is black, your in dfu
  5. aspecter

aspecter New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I did that and the screen became black. i tried to restore ( and update) and the screen became white. In itunes it was stucked for a while on the message that says that it is preparing the ipod for restoring. And later this error popped up: The iPod "[username]" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1601).
  6. IamMartin

IamMartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is a widespread problem over a range of iDevices. You are not alone.

However, there is no fix as of yet. DFU restore, normal restore, etc doesn't work. Recovery tools such as Recboot and iRecovery don't work either.

In the meantime, it's best if you restore to 3.1.2, as restore to 3.1.3 have been known to fail, and wait for a fix to be developed.

Only problem is, only a small collection of people are having this problem. It may never be fixed.

Contact your local Authorised Apple dealer and consult with them.
  7. aspecter

aspecter New Member

Device:
    iPad
    but since it has been jailbroken before, i have lost my warranty then?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i was unable to restore to 3.1.2 also, is ther no way i can restore the ipod? And to you know if its caused by the JB?

EDIT: iwas able to restore to 3.0 (phew), but i can't ever upgrade it?
  8. IamMartin

IamMartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm not sure if it is caused by the jailbreak. However, it seems like an issue which cannot be fixed, unless Apple acknowledges this issue and find a way to resolve it either by changing the firmware file or a physical replacement of the faulty device.
  9. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you DFU restore again to 3.0 then try and send it to Apple, wont that work?
    A DFU restore will wipe all trace of any jailbreak and Apple should just send a new one if your still within your warranty time.
  10. aspecter

aspecter New Member

Device:
    iPad
    For how long lasts the warranty, and does it apply if i bought it from a usual electric store, and not from apple store?