Ipod touch 2gen vs archos 5

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by applespace, Dec 22, 2008.

1. applespace

applespace New Member

QUESTION: SHOULD I GET THE 2GEN IPOD TOUCH (32 GB) OR THE ARCHOS 5 (120 GB)?

The Archos 5 has a ton of space for holding a ton of files....and does anyone know if I can view .doc or .xls files on it???

Ipod Touch has the App store which is a big benefit, but the space is limited.

The Archos 5 has excellent movie quality (resolution), a hard drive, and can view many diff movie types.

The Ipod Touch has easy syncing to Itunes.

MANY OTHER COMPARISONS CAN BE MADE....PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS ABOUT THIS....
  2. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    i have always had problems with hard-drive devices, they always seem to fail after a while. flash drives are reliable and i am yet to encounter an issue. id say go with the touch, but look at the forum your asking.
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i asked the same question to my mate (who owns an Archos) because they look fantabulous.

he said he's always had software problems with his, even after the regular upgrades. it's not uncommon to regularly reset the system he said.
    he also commented that nearly every thing else to want to do with the unit other than the basics you get you much purchase. everything is a purchasable add on/plugin.
    and to top it off he reckons that customer service (he's used to calling them) are absolutely diabolical.

he says they're sexy devices that can do almost anything, (more than the ipods) but lack of games was a big concern.

I'd still love one, but i'd need the money to throw away first me thinks. but perhaps he just had a bad experience.
  4. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That is a hard question. The screen is gorgeous on the Archos, and sound quality from it is very very good. I guess if you want something that fits inside your pocket, and you want some games, iPod
  5. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

i would rather get the touch, u can get an app from the appstore that lets u read the .doc files on it and other files too. u can also play games and it actually fits in ur pocket too
  6. Thunda23

Thunda23 New Member

i would get an ipod touch cause there are so many things to do .... if you have WiFi its a plus cause you can browse the web and look at stocks and has youtube along with nike+ipod receiver built in
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But the Archos also has wifi and a bigger, nicer screen to look at.
  8. ThunderPumpkin

ThunderPumpkin New Member

Pros and Cons

Well, pluses and minuses to both devices. I'm buying an Archos 5 120 GB. Here is a list of pros and cons in no particular order.

Archos 5

Pros:
    1: Beautiful 4.8" screen at 800x480 resolution that trumps the Touch's.​
    2: Much more storage for the same amount of money.​
    3: The Opera browser has flash support and is better than the iPod's. You can watch YouTube and basically any other flash video site without an app, right in the browser.​
    4: Widgets, like iPod apps, are available. Practically any widget you use with Opera on your computer can be used on the Archos.​
    5: HD video support (720p).​
    6: With add-ons, you can record TV (DVR), use it as a camera (Helmet Cam), use it as a TV (in Europe with the TV doohickey), listen to and record the radio (with an FM tuner add on), and use it as a USB host(With the mini dock. This means you can get data directly from a USB device like a flash drive or camera without a computer).​
    7: There are thousands of Web TV and Radio stations to listen to so if you get bored of your music and videos, you always have something to lean on.​
    8: Better battery life than the Touch's with video at 7 hours.​
    9: Built-in fold out kickstand for easy viewing.​
    10: Full touch screen, if you like that.​
    11: Better sound quality than the Touch's.​
    12: Supports way more codecs out of the box than the Touch.​
    13: Stream content directly from your computer to your device.​
    14: Can rent and buy movies directly to the device over the internet.​
    15: No software to install.​
    16: Works as a portable hard drive as well, so you can store any file on it.​
    17: You can use it with any music service.​

Cons:
    1: Worse battery life than the Touch's with audio at 22 hours.​
    2: Hard drive player, and hard drives tend to fail over time (as was the case with my Zune).​
    3: The device needs extra plugins if you want h.264, AAC, and other codec support, which will run you up $30.​
    4: Add ons also cost a lot of money, but do add a lot of features.​
    5: Bigger than the iPod Touch, but still pocketable.​
    6: Can't play protected AAC files. If you bought iTunes songs with DRM, sorry, that was a stupid mistake. DRM sucks.​
    7: Takes 8 HOURS to charge via USB. That's sloooooooooooowwwwwww (Add ons improve this to 3 hours).​
    8: Released the device in Beta. It's been improved via firmware updates, so now it works reliably.​

iPod Touch

Pros:
    1: Flash player, which doesn't have moving parts.​
    2: Greater app support than the Archos 5.​
    3: Small and easy to transport.​
    4: Also a full touch screen.​
    5: Better battery life than the Archos with audio at 36 hours.​
    6: Web browser.​
    7: Multi-touch interface.​
    8: Tons of support from 3rd party add on developers.​

Cons:
    1: Really small storage. 32GB is not enough for videos and audio.​
    2: Overpriced for what it does. $210 for a new 16GB as opposed to $230 for a new 120GB Archos 5 (at the time of my writing this).​
    3: No flash support in the browser.​
    4: Worse battery life than the Archos with video at 6 hours.​
    5: The screen is half the size of the Archos'.​
    6: iTunes is bloatware, plain and simple.​
    7: Pretty poor codec support.​
    8: Can not use it as a portable drive. Which totally sucks.​
    9: Minimal Linux support. This probably doesn't matter to any of you guys, as you're mostly all Apple fanboys

Please Register or Log in to view images

.​
    10: Sound quality is lacking.​

Well, there you go, that's my comparison of the Archos 5 and iPod Touch. I hope this is helpful and I tried to be fair. Feel free to yell at me and call me names or whatever because I didn't choose the iPod Touch on iPod Touch Fans forum

9. ipodfan256

ipodfan256 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    iPod touch is way better
  10. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G

thats a nice comparison. i would however pick you up on point 1 and 10 -

1) 8 gig is ample for me. storage space is a personal choice. there is no general 'not enough'. and on my 8 gig i got all the video and music i want

10) sound quality lacking? again, a point of view. i'd disagree with that statement.