ipod Touch 2g will not restore error 6

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kappy, May 13, 2010.

1. Kappy

Kappy New Member

I have an 8gb ipod touch 2g which fails to restore with an error 6 code. I have tried it on several computers and multiple usb ports with av and firewall software disabled.

The ipod boots every time the "connect to itunes" image screen. It will boot only when plugged into a computer or power outlet. It does not respond to pushing either the power button, the home button or both together. This is also true when connected connected to the computer.

I am trying to restore to factory settings. The ipod is recognized by itunes each time it is connected as being in recovery mode. I have downloaded the latest firmware twice.

Restore starts and progresses to where the status bar appears on the ipod. It fails in the same spot each time and generates an error (6) code.

I have looked a the log and it shows an AFC error 0xe8000028. It next tries operation 28 which fails with a -1, then operation 11 which also fails with a -1. It also says:

"device did not return saved usb log"
    "device did not return saved panic log"
    "unable to open device_map.txt: No such file or directory"

Has anyone seen this before? I have searched the internet thoroughly and found no solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Restore using DFU Mode.

How-To:

3. Kappy

Kappy New Member

Home and Power Buttons Don't Work

Thank you for responding.

The problem I face is that the ipod does not respond to holding the Home and Power buttons. Holding them together does not bring up the Apple logo. Pushing power alone does nothing. It will not turn on the ipod or, if the ipod is on (showing the connect to itunes screen), holding the power button will not turn it off.

My extensive search of the internet has only turned up a couple of posts where a similar problem was reported. There were no solutions offered.

I appreciate it if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,

Kappy
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    I believe the screen is blank when it's in DFU mode.
  5. ipodholic

ipodholic Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Oh my god. I so love your signature man. One of the few times I actually laughed out loud reading something on this forum!
  6. Kappy

Kappy New Member

DFU Doesn't work

The ipod won't go into DFU mode because pushing the home button and power buttons together do nothing. I have tried to force it into DFU mode and that didn't work either. The fail log from the restore attempts show that restore puts it in DFU before installing the firmware update.