iPod Touch 2G (Water Damage Information)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TweakMan, Jun 23, 2009.

1. TweakMan

TweakMan New Member

I was approached the other day, about trading an older model Windows Mobile Device (Htc PPC-6800), for an iPod Touch 2G. Both devices had something wrong with them. My WM Device was mainly visual, but the iPod had suffered water damage.

The iPod Touch 2G was dropped in a bathtub (while washing a dog), and the owner did not realize it for about two to three minutes after it went in. After he realized it, he of course pulled it out. He said he shook it out, trying to remove the excess water, blew in it for about ten to twenty minutes, then made the novice mistake of plugging it into a charger.

When he did, he stated that nothing worked. Wouldn't cut on, no charge, etc.Well, just so happens that he was on the phone with a friend, who told him plugging it in was the biggest mistake he could have made,, and to unplug the device,and leave it alone. So he did. It was only on charge four around 5-6 minutes at the most.

After unplugging, he laid it on his shelf, and left it alone for two or three days. At which time he tried again to plug it in, and test it out. Well, still nothing. No charge symbol, no action at all. So, he put it in the original box, shoved it in a drawer, and left it alone.

Two weeks later, he noticed my post on another forum, regarding my WM Device. He contacted me, told me what was going on with the iPod, what had happened, and offered to trade, with a cash incentive. So I agreed. This was on a Friday. We had planned on shipping out the devices Monday morning.

So Saturday day, I contacted him and requested he send a few more pics of the device, just to make sure that it was at least in good physical condition. Well, he got the device out to take the pics, and somehow ended up plugging the device into the PC to charge. At that time, the "Low Battery" indicator came on the screen he said, and remained there the whole time it was plugged in.

He unplugged the device and contacted me to let me know, and ask if I knew what was going on with it. I had no idea right off the top of my head. So, I asked him to make a video and show me that it was actually cutting on. Honestly, just to make sure he wasn't blowing smoke trying to get me to trade for sure. Well, he got in touch with me using a live webcam. When he plugged the device in, the "low battery" indidcator came on, for about 2 mintues.

Then, it changed from the battery indicator, to the iTunes Symbol with the USB Cable pluggin into it. It remained that way for about ten minutes, the entire itme it was plugged up. He unplugged again, waited a few minutes ,plugged it back in, and it went straight back to the iTunes/USB Cable symbol. As of now, the device will stay on that symbol as long as it is plugged into power. When its unplugged, it cuts off.

So, my question is, is there any hope for this iPod, or is it done in? I know that the symbol is calling for the OS to be restored, correct? I guess that it's possibe that the water, or long term battery drain, corrupted the old OS and it simply needs re-flashed. But I just want the opion of ppl who deal with Apple products personally everyday.

I've developed and worked on WM Device for over 4 years now, and know Windows from top to bottom. I can work on pretty much any WM Smartphone, or Blackberry, without issue, but have never personally messed with an iPod/iPhone. I know that if I dropped my HTC Touch Diamond in water, and it showed any signs of life, like the iPod is doing, that it could more than likely be repaired.

But like I said, I'm not familiar with Apple products, there durability, etc. And just want an insiders opion. And before you got jumping on me saying this stuff is common sense, I understand that. I understand of course water+electronics do not equal up to anything good. I also understand what the symbols on the iPod refer to. All of this is common sense. And common sense tells me that the iPod can more than likely be fixed simply ,by restoring ro reflashing , and that the battery may be the only real physical issue.

But I've seen tons, upon, tons of posts around the web, of ipod/iphone's getting water damage. Some work for hours after submerged in water, and then quit. Some get slightly wet, and go haywire. And I've seen several that will still cut on to battery sybols that can be fixed, and several that can not, or at least not reasonably.

Like I said, i just want to get the opion of ppl who deal with these devices regularly. I'm sure that someone has seen this happen personally, and knows what happend to there device. Or can atleast give me an idea as to what they think.

Either way, thanks for taking the time here.
  2. byronb

byronb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My ipod touch was in a puddle of water on my dresser for less than 10 seconds and there was no hope for it.
  3. beebop

beebop New Member

Honestly... i'd go for it if your HTC isn't any longer used. My girlfriends ipod got water damaged but the water damage indicator (in the bottom of the headphone jack) didn't change colour so she got it replaced free. Maybe you could do the same.. i wouldn't know really.
  4. katking123

katking123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    there are places were you can get the battery replaced i think you can buy a pre soldered
    battery from ebay for 12 bucks that might be your best bet but yea i would go for the deal
  5. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Dont get it unless you really want to fix it. Ask him if the ipod water indicator changed to pink/red. I had the same problem and I works but then it stop completely and all that jazz. but apple gave me a new one because I did some changes to it.
  6. John5p

John5p Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Stick a new piece of litmus paper in to cover it up. You can also put your iPod in rice. Because since rice is dry, it will wick away any moisture inside.
  7. hessien

hessien New Member

I am the guy he did the trade with. A few corrections.... It was not a ppc-6800, but an alltel diamond that he was supposed to send me. I sent him the itouch, and received an empty box. When I contacted him about this...he said he would look into it and send me out a replacement phone from his business..."Cellular City" which is a business registered in Virginia..to someone completely different. Then through his windows live messenger, I was told by his "family" that he had a heart attach...and died. The hospital they said he was sent to had no record of him, and the mortuary that was doing his services did not have hime listed, nor was their an obituary in the newspaper for him..the funeral director checked. Now all of a sudden..I am unable to get a hold of him through either phone, email or messenger...things that we have communicated through in the past.

Just felt that this group should know...
  8. Sammy003

Sammy003 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  9. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    omg that is sad and low...
  10. The_Guitar_Hero

The_Guitar_Hero New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That really sucks, hopefully there is some way to get it back.