Ipod Touch 2G - Touch screen digitizer is unresponsive, LCD screen no backlight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by christian, Feb 4, 2010.

1. christian

christian New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi everyone,
    My Ipod touch's digitizer is unresponsive, and my LCD back light is dead. I have first noticed this when I disassembled, then reassembled my Ipod touch to a severe denting on the back metal plate. I bought a new one and tried to replace it. The Ipod did work 100% when the back was dented (before I conducted my stupid repair in hopes of making my Ipod look better

Please Register or Log in to view images

), I even brought it on my trip to New York City where it did not fail to perform, not once. So after I carefully took it apart, then moved it to the new metal backing, it did work abit, like the touch screen was responsive sometimes and sometimes it did not work, sorry it is difficult to explain. For example, if i leave the Ipod on my table for a few hours, then i try to turn it on, it becomes functional, then about 2 mins into the usage, something dies and I can't even select the apps anymore. The LCD was fully bright at this time and needed no fixing. But recently, the LCD lighting died out, and the touch screen became more and more unsenitive to the point where I just did not bother checking if it was working.
    There is 2 things I know:
    1. The Digitizer is not broken (for sure)
    2. The LCD is dead
    The rest I am just not sure of.

I have some Questions:
    1. I still have an apple warranty until Febuary 13th, do you guys think they will consider it?
    2. Is there external sources that I can try to get it repaired from. Eg. The Source, Radio Shack... (as long as the price is not too expensive[under 100])
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    You tried to make own repairs with a warranty? Apple might fix it. Butt if they do they won't fix it for free.
  3. christian

christian New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, in the beginning when everything is working fine with just a large dent in the back, my friends just told me to open it up and do the whole moving myself since apple would not support someone demanding basically a new Ipod just because there is a dent in the back. To take it out and move the hardware to a new casing takes alot of work and it is probably not practical for apple in my opinion. Since my friend broke his digitizer before, and he just bought a new one and replaced it himself, everything was fine. He convinced me enough that it was easy, which it was, however now my Ipod does not work anymore. I just did not want to wait for 1-2 weeks for my Ipod to be transfered back and forth from apple, I thought if I opened it and took care of everything, I would be much faster. However I learned the reality. I was so stupid.
    Yes, I will try to contact apple tomorrow.