ipod touch 2g stuck in recovery mode after failed semi tethered jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by vincentjuan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. vincentjuan

vincentjuan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi everybody,

As i'm new to this forum I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Vince, french, 21yo, glad to meet you all.

I own an ipod Touch 2G 8Go that is actually stuck in recovery mode with the screen showing the "itunes logo & usb cable" picture. I'm on a macbook pro with leopard, and itunes recognizes my ipod as being in recovery mode and needing to be restored, then, when i try to restore by shift-clicking on the restore-button, and leading to the official firmware in /User/*****/Library/iTunes/iPod Firmware-bla-blah, it does the job. BUT, when, done, says it recognizes an ipod in recovery mode needing to be restored, and again, and again, endless ... I should mention i dumbassly deleted the files alongside to the official ipsw in leopard, cuz i thought they where useless.

Sorry if this is unclear, english is not my native language.

You should know that i came so far by failing in a jailbreak attempt, using XPwn on Vista to create the custom211.ipsw, and rslite on leopard to jailbreak. In fact i used the download stuff given in the semi tethered mac sticky, with the windows sticky custom ipsw creation procedure (because pwnagetool didn't seem to luv me), and then came back to the mac sticky to get some action yeehah !

Me = BIG IDIOT ( ! ), or maybe just unlucky, because i followed gently every step with no exception and ended up with a wrecked ipod touch 2G.

Any ideas? Any help MuscleHero?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards ...
  2. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is it in DFU or RECOVERY, if you see connect to itunes logo, plus it in to iTunes and see what it says, if a pop-up shows that says ipod is in recovery mode then start terminal - rslite and type
    clearenv 1
    saveenv

and then enter DFU mode, and restore to original firmware, then start over.

That's the best thing I can say to do.
  3. vincentjuan

vincentjuan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OK seems i'm mistaking between DFU and recovery, yes it IS in a state where it show the "connect to itunes" logo , so i should run rslite then type the command lines you just told me, in DFU mode i think? (because rslite doesn't let me type anything if not in dfu mode). and then restore my official firmware located in the user library itunes folders ? Anyway to get into dfu mode i'm a right to say that i must press home+power for 6 secs then just home for 4 secs?

EDIT

OK, it just... Worked. This is what i call a straight to the point answer, and I thank you. Now that i've been trough this i know that the ipod is almost unbrickable unless intentionnaly.

Any ideas why Pwnagetool kept telling me "sry, i haz fail" when trying to generate custom211.ipsw from from original211.ipsw, when using the original ipsw link given in the mac semi tethered sticky? I even put the cydia bundle & the other file from the sub-folders of the "semi" folder in rslite102, into the right folders of the pwnagetool package.

This is what made me mixing and messing both mac and windows howtos at first.
  4. Legendairy

Legendairy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For mac you have to right-click PwnageTool.app and click show package contents then browse and place the firmware bundle under firmwarebundles and then the cydia info.plist (right-click, show package contents on cydia bundle) then paste it into the PwnageTool under custombundles, and under cydia again..

should work.
  5. vincentjuan

vincentjuan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just did it :

- Install pwnagetool from the tutorial link, then open the package, add the firmware bundle from rslite102 semi folder, and then open the cydia bundle and replace the info plist with the one from the rslite102 semi cydia bundle.

Then started pwnagetool in advanced tool, select the original ipsw, tryed to generate custom ipsw without the custom logo option, but "sry, i haz fail" annoying kitty appears.

EDIT

My bad, thought the custom logos wouldn't be checked by default, and didn't think to uncheck 'em, now done, retryed, worked.
  6. denny_333

denny_333 New Member

I have the same problem on my ipdt2g. Do you're trick work with windows ? And so yes, I didnt understand it ( - rslite ??)