iPod Touch 2G [Review]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BigDaveyJ, Oct 12, 2008.

1. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    DISCLAIMER**** I do not own an iPod Touch 2G, I have used one on a daily basis from 3 of my friends so i know it's pros and cons.

Price:
    8GB-$229 16GB-$299 32GB-$399 (all $100 price reduce from 1G)

Pros: There are a lot of Pros. The speaker is almost perfect, now in settings, there is a sounds list so when it is jailbroken, sounds can and will be used! This also makes the LightSaber app awesome (believe me it IS awesome) and Tap Tap Revenge a lot better. The wifi is better than before, you can now receive wifi a little farther from before, and keep it a little longer when in lockscreen. The iPod Touch 2G is almost the same size so some cases are still compatible! (tried in my leather folio case, works great!) And it is now available to use a microphone, which will be great with the upcoming release of the in-ear Apple earbuds.

Cons: Small Speaker, that is it. The speaker is somewhat smaller than expected and that makes the sound quality worse. That is my only problem with this new iPod; but hey, it works. And it is still awesome.

Rating: This new iPod is no doubt 5 stars. It has everything you want in an iPod and then some, without it being a phone! And now with Fringe, there is VOIP so well, it just keeps getting better and better!

Conclusion: The 2nd Gen iPod Touch is the best yet. So much for less, I am currently half way of getting my new 2nd gen, and once it is modded, I am going to say Bye Bye to the first one.

Yes, finally a REAL review. Comment please on it and what you think should be added or not.
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    When you say the speaker is "smaller", to what are you comparing it?

You should note that the iPod touch 8GB is actually $230, not $200.

EDIT: I think this is a bit skimpy for a review. You didn't really touch on the expanse of feature that the iPod has. Put yourself in the shoes of someone entirely new to the iPod touch. (You spent a lot of time comparing to the first generation.)
  3. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, actually it is $200 in CT where i live, and i fixed the other part. Lost concentration because of idiots in IRC
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Well maybe for the sake of those not in Connecticut? I'm going by the Apple Online Retail Store, from where many people will purchase this device.
  5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    fixed. maybe the best buy people are idiots, idk why. But i changed according to Apple. Thx
  6. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, there are several cons.
    Many people having light leaks and problems, it's not jailbroken YET, the back is even more scratch heaven.
    The Speaker is OK, very tinny sound. and the in ear headphones are $79, so worth quite a lot just for the advantage of volume control and a microphone and some headphones with 1bass+1tweeter in each
  7. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1) Define "many people". Like, one poster on this message board?

2) Jailbreak has nothing to do with the unit itself.

3) Same as last iPod.

4) I'll agree on the speaker.

5) Different headphones are completely irrelevant. Expensive headphones can't be a negative in any media player review. They aren't required. They're a luxury. If you don't want them, don't buy them.

What your saying is like saying that all the cases cost $40 (Fictional reference) so that's a con.
  8. Jikoo

Jikoo New Member

As soon as it JB'd im gettin it, or maybe iPhone, dunno
  9. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have heard at least 20 complain on this forum about light leaks. Abcmsaj was the first I heard had this problem

Yet the jailbreaking may only be a hardware jailbreak at the moment :/

Nah, the back is a tiny bit more shinier and more polished.

So you have to spend $79/£55 just to have access to VOIP...
  10. rash219

rash219 New Member

NOPE !!!! you can buy the iphone headphone for 10$ -20$ depending on where and whom it u buy it from