iPod Touch 2g OS 3.0 Unable To Restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by StevetheLock, Jul 21, 2009.

1. StevetheLock

StevetheLock New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello Everybody, please read the entire post, and dont just say Restore, or go into DFU and restore. Believe me I have done that.

I am visiting family in Spain and i brought my iPod Touch with me. The operating temperature for the ipod touch is 35-95 degrees. Well its hotter than that here, so i assume my ipod touch may have over heated a little. Well i plugged my iPod into my laptop and i go to do a normal restore with the "Plug Into itunes" screen. Itunes recognizes it and i start the restore. Itunes connects and extracts the software and begins the prepare the iPod for a restore. The ipod blinks and resets itself and Windows makes the disconnect connect sound. The apple screen shows for 30 seconds or so. Then the little spinning wheel appears for a quick second and the iPod resets itself. Itunes continues to prepare the ipod for 10-15 seconds, but it then comes up with an error message of Unable to restore, Error(1611).

From the research I have done and what ive seen, Error 1611 is an overheating problem.

During the attempts to restore the ipod becomes extremely hot around the connection port. I have tried keeping it infront of an Air conditioner. It still wont restore.

I can not turn on the ipod unless its plugged in. As soon as it is unplugged the ipod turns off and none of the buttons are responsive. I have tried letting it sit unplugged over night, and i have tried leaving it plugged in for a while.

Other details incase i forgot to mention:
    iPod Touch 2nd Gen
    Charged From both Wall/Computer
    Windows XP
    Never Jailbroken
    Bought 3.0 from Itunes
  2. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i know this is not of much help...

make sure you have the right firmware file to restore

is your warranty still valid, if so im sure apple can fix it
  3. StevetheLock

StevetheLock New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My warranty is still valid, but i cant send it off or even go to an apple store for another month. But how would i check if i have the correct firmware? I downloaded it form iTunes on this laptop.
  4. iTouchGuru

iTouchGuru New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you have iTunes 8.2.1?

If not, update.

And I know your post says youve tried a DFU + Restore, but please, try it again. DFU + Restore solves A LOT of problems.

Error 1611 isnt overheating ): ...

If problems persist after updating, uninstall iTunes, QuickTime, Apple Mobile Device Support and then reinstall iTunes.

That usually always solves 1611.

Good Luck.
  5. StevetheLock

StevetheLock New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yep Itunes is up to date, ive reinstalled it twice now completely, but id rather not reinstall it again, takes ages to install it on this slow internet. Ill continue to try more DFU's. And 1611 has to be related to heat, because its only happened since ive been out here in Spain where the temperatures are about 20-30 degrees more than where I use to use it. and the back of the ipod never heated up as much as it does now while its plugged in. Anyways ill get back if it works. If not please keep giving suggestions.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Even during a DFU restore it will get up to the point right before the progress bar on the ipod appears and it will reset, it shuts the screen black and comes back with the apple logo and goes into a normal restore mode, but instead of staying at the plug into itunes it goes to a black screen with back lighting on, and itunes pulls up the 1611 error.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok i fixed it. Heres exactly what i did. I got pissed at it. I sent a few messages to some friends of mine saying Apple and Steve Jobs and Who ever else can go take an ipod and shove it. And to never buy apple products or macs or anything.

But after that i went for a bikeride, i left my ipod in a very very cold place, kept the laptop cool also. Came back turned everything on and tried to restore. I put a bowl of icecream on the back while it was restoring. and it successfully restored. But now its just reseting it self at the apple logo, ill look for fixed for that, but atleast its restored.
  6. Aosprite48

Aosprite48 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This has happened to me but I downloaded redsnow 0.7.2 or 1 and jailbreak it while bricked and when it says shutoff iPod u can't so skip to holding home and power go to dfu and make sure it says customfirmware created sucessfully then restore and u should get no error message
  7. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Try the link in my signature.
  8. jpou1

jpou1 New Member

has anyone found a fix for this problem?
  9. StevetheLock

StevetheLock New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    jawcl the link in your sig hasnt worked.

The ipod actually broke again, this time i was trying to restore to get the Jailbreak stuff off. I somehow managed to Jailbreak it with RedSn0w. and ive tried again, but it never makes it to the pineapple, it stops after the downloading Jailbreak data screen, as soon as the spinning wheel shows up the ipod resets.
  10. itouchuser08

itouchuser08 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    hi,

make sure you restored to 3.0 before you jailbreaked.

what was your last firmware you had on your ipod touch before you went to 3.0.

Dfu should bring the touch back to the state of non jailbreak.

make sure your ipod screen is black, if it is itunes logo with usb then your not in dfu.

can you boot to normal mode,

pm me if you need more help.