iPod Touch (2g) Jailbreaking Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Happyman7, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Pardon any stupid questions but I am new here, I know how to operate forums though.

Please Register or Log in to view images

So I am starting to get bored with my iPod's limited custimization capabilities, and am now interested in this "Jailbreaking" thing. But I have a few of questions.

I have briefly skimmed a few threads to see if they answered my questions, but they weren't very direct.

I would also greatly appreciate it if you didn't redirect me to another thread, unless it answers ALL my questions, or show me a list of rules (I can't be bothered to read them, unless I am going to be on here for a while and post lots of threads)

Before I start firing off questions: I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, 16gb, 3.0 firmware, and a lot of music and a fair bit of apps.

So here we go:

1. If I jailbreak will I lose all my files (apps, music, videos, etc.)?
    1a. Is there a way to get those back onto the ipod while jailbroken via itunes? —legally.
    1b. Can I get all the apps I paid for back after jailbreak?
    1c. Can I still pay for apps from the app store (on iPod or PC) if I want to?
    2. Can I connect my iPod to iTunes?
    2b. Will I lose my jailbreak firmware if I sync? If so how can I prevent that?
    3. Can I still download music/videos/apps/etc. via PC iTunes or iPod iTunes app legally?
    4. Should I back up all my iPod files onto a disk via itunes before the jailbreak?
    5. Is there a jailbreak for the 3.0 firmware? (I think there is, I just want to make sure)
    5a. Will I have to pay for the 3.0 firmware if I decide to restore?

I will probably have more questions later, but for now:

What are a few Pros and Cons of jailbreaking. (make sure to mention Cons, I want to be ready for anything), and if there is a Con, could you please mention how to fix it (if possible)?

Well that is all for now, thanks in advanced!

Picture (below?): Screenshot of the apps I paid for.

Attached Files:

2. REvie

REvie New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No you will not lose all your files.

You can sync with itunes like you usually do even if you jailbreak.

No features are taken away when you jailbreak. Jailbreaking makes your ipod have features that apple were stupid to leave out.
  3. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. No
    1a. Yes
    1b. yes
    1c. yes
    2. yes
    2b. no
    3. yes
    4. yes
    5. Redsn0w 0.8
    5b. yes

Read the "Why jailbreak" thread in my sig
  4. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1.) yes, but you can sync them back after jailbreak
    1a.)yes
    1b.)yes
    1c.)yes
    2.)yes
    2b.)what do u mean? you jailbreak your ipod then just sync. its not going to interfere with your firmware.
    3.)yes you can.
    4.) itunes should backup your ipt each time u sync. music is in your library, apps are saved, and videos are there too. photos are in your computer. just sync what you want.
    5.)yes there is a jailbreak for 3.0. its called redsn0w, just google or youtube.
    5a.)yes u will and it is 10 bucks i believe.
  5. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Pay?

Thanks for all the help! (fast response too)

Just one question right now:

So your saying that even though I paid for it before, I still have to pay AGAIN for the 3.0 firmware update? Isn't there a back up of that or something in the iTunes directory on my computer?

I will be really <insert expression of madness here> if I have no other option than to repay for that update.

P.S. For anyone who cares, I have never had/wanted to restore my iPod Touch.
  6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry, you don't have to pay a second time, I thought you where talking about the first time
  7. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish"

Well, thank you very much everyone who was involved!

I am backing up my itunes library to a disk now and shall figure out how to jailbreak my iPod soon!

"So long and thanks for all the fish" -The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
  8. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're welcome Happyman7. Have fun here.