iPod Touch 2G jailbreak: what you DON'T know

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Gnintendo, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Gnintendo

Gnintendo New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So you know late last night untethered was released and followed by hordes of people wanting the jailbreak suddenly, you know that the dev-teams had actually been together with the exploit, this combined dev-team was mentioned as the hybrid-team by Chronic Dev but actually consisted of the Dev-Team, Chronic Dev, and a few people on the IRC. Dev-Team hinted they had already had the untethered jailbreak by saying they were going to "hold onto this full ipt2g jailbreak", but did you know pod2g had actually found the exploit shortly after redsn0w in early February?

The truth was the dev-teams had decided they were going to try to hold onto it until the next iPhone came out so the exploit would still be present, it might actually still be too late for Apple to patch the exploit but don't count on it. Later, redsn0w was reportedly discovered by Chronic Dev first and shortly after by the Dev-Team who posted about it first since there was no reason to withhold that information. This was also an interesting find for them because redsn0w allowed them to flash the iPod instead of doing a full restore. Not too long after that a "run rs" version of the tethered jailbreak was developed that allowed for easy/fast-booting dongles to be made from various devices.

This led to a commercial development team called "Nitro Key" who started selling a dongle that used widely available jailbreak information on the internet. Lately though, they released a new version that actually untethered-jailbroke your iPod Touch. It appeared they had found the same exploit the "hybrid-team" had found but it was still unknown at the time rather or not it was just a scam. It is still unknown how they got it but shortly after they started selling it for $15 on their website. Acfrazier then bought it and by request gave the flash images from the firmware to Alaric. Alaric used the files to create a NOR-only "flash" firmware and restored to it resulting in an untethered jailbroken iPod Touch 2G. Alaric gave a NOR dump to chronic, and flash images to HoZy and me.

Chronic confirmed that it was the same exploit they had found earlier which left the "hybrid-team" with no choice but to release the untethered exploit since it had already gone public. It was a bitter-sweet win for those who wanted the untethered jailbreak since it was not the desire of the "hybrid-team" to release it.

Sources: You know who you are, if you have anything to mention, or have some suggested revisions please contact me, you know how.
  2. JayK-47

JayK-47 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  3. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm. I bet the Dev Teams. Already have Flash on their iPhone's and iPod's so it doesn't surprise me at all.
  4. Ruamrudee

Ruamrudee Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Interesting read
  5. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I knew most of that. google is the best detective. but thanks for filling in some of the blanks for us.
  6. -Kerrigan-

-Kerrigan- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's a conspiracy guys! lol
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    nice information here. Thanks.
  8. d4rlp3nc1l

d4rlp3nc1l New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    it is really sad how people love to leak stuff all over the internet, and attempt to make a profit off of it. this is why i love and hate the homebrew, jailbreak scene. its great to control your electronics, but its sad when people try to make a profit off of stuff that they got for FREE!!!!!!
  9. bozeefus

bozeefus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    chronic & dev team, u sneaky bastards

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. jailbreak123

jailbreak123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ya irc was crazy but with some help from Hozy I got the nor flash and its amazing.