iPod touch 2G Jailbreak- QUESTIONS (I'm New)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by YoMommaSoFat, Jun 5, 2009.

1. YoMommaSoFat

YoMommaSoFat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm new to this site; actually my friend told me about it. Anyway, ever since I got my iPod touch in May, I've been wanting to jailbreak it. I'm always a little paranoid (so is my mom, maybe it's DNA?) about things that aren't completely authorized by Apple or approved by it. So I come across this jailbreak, and I see all the wonderful things it can do (change background graphics, tweak fonts, Cydia Store, Winterboard, etc.). I don't plan on getting cracked apps, maybe only the ones that are like 10-15 dollars like BeejiveIM and Need For Speed Underground. I've been exploring the world of jailbreaking for the past 3 months (yes even before I got my iPod); by viewing videos of jailbreaking, how-to's, and Pros and Cons.

My main problem is that I know it voids my warrenty (I never purchased the Apple Care; so I'm talking about the 1-year service thing that comes with it when you purchase the device). I'm paranoid, so I'm afraid that sooner or later a software issue will arise, such as I won't be able to turn it on, maybe a Safari error or volume. I know restoring it will probably fix it, but I've heard of issues where you try to restore it but it just gives you an error message and doesn't restore.

Anyways, here are my questions I want you guys to help me answer:

1. After you jailbreak it, how do you upgrade the software to a new version (let's say 2.2.1 to 3.0)? Is there any special steps you must take since I jailbroke?

2. Is it illegal?

3. The program you use to change a theme on your iPod is Winterboard, correct? How do you get that App, because when you jailbreak it it only comes with Cydia and Installer.

4. Using Winterboard, after you change to a theme, can you change back to the black background (the original one)?

5. Is QuickFreedom good? I plan on following this guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ahBw2DEpJc

6. When you jailbreak, can you have Firefox open at the same time? I want to have the video open to guide me.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
    -------------------------------------------------
    P.S.: Sorry if I have too much text and questions

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You just update it through iTunes, your Jailbreak will be deleted though.

No, Jailbreaking is completely legal

Yes, you use Winterboard to theme your iPod. You get Winterboard through Cydia

Yes, just uncheck everything in Winterboard

Do not use QuickFreedom, it is old and has been abandoned by it's original creator. Use redsn0w 0.3 instead

Yes, you can have Firefox open

3. FruitRocks

FruitRocks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    As for warranty, I'm paranoid to. Called apple up and actually asked them about jailbreaking

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Genius said that they will replace it for you only once after you jailbreak (though I'm sure most geniuses don't check for it). I had called them up about 2 months ago, so policys probably not changed. Just do a dfu restore if u ever do take it in (to be sure). Jailbreaking is only illegal when you use it for piracy or such.
  4. Salamantis

Salamantis New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    And anyways, if you DFU restore to a regular, original IPSW, Apple can't and won't know that you jailbroke it, because it looks factory-new.
  5. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yup
    that's what I'm doing
    I DFU+restored a few hrs ago
    going to apple on sunday