Ipod touch 2g internal speakers vs earbuds

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dytoonn, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ipod touch 2g internal speakers vs earbuds EDIT

I've read a lot about the ipod touch's internal speaker, and I have an ipod touch 2g myself. Some say the quality is decent, and pretty loud, other say it's crappy. I think it's okay, but really quiet.
    So I'd like to know: how loud is the internal speaker in comparison with the (apple) ear buds (at max volume.)? With me, they're about the same... The speaker is slightly better/louder... But not much. Is this normal? Or are the speakers normally a lot louder? When I'm in a room with the slightest noise, the speaker becomes useless. The reason I'm asking this, is because I've once let the alarm go off, volume @ highest level, and it 'beeped' for about 20 minutes... I hope this didn't screw up my speakers somehow, anyway it seems pretty impossible to me...

So let me know how your speaker does in comparison with your apple ear buds

Please Register or Log in to view images

. EDIT: I meant when the earbuds figure as as a speaker... So not in your ears.
  2. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

Umm... not entirely sure what you are talking about, but I think you are asking about a comparison between the speaker and the headphones. If that's the case, my speaker is pretty loud, but they aren't as loud as my headphones when they are in my ears.
  3. kylepsp

kylepsp New Member

I think the distortion of the speakers really takes away from the point of the speaker being loud.

I was comparing the speaker to the 2G iphone and it is ten times better!
  4. Spd2Last

Spd2Last Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Some of you really miss the fact that the speaker built into the iPod is for casual listening. It is not a boombox nor is it an iPhone thats needs to be loud for its ringtones and such. So of course the speaker on the iPhone is louder because you need to be able to hear your ringtone when it is in your pocket/purse and you're in a noisy environment.
    Either way, it's great that the iPod has a speaker so that you don't have to share your earbuds with everybody that you want to show something to. It's also fine to play games. If you want it louder, put on your earbuds. In fact, the only time I use my earbuds is when I listen to music and watch my movies, but besides that, I hardly use the earphones.
  5. Germany

Germany Banned

The internal speaker is better. Steve Jobs said it himself that it is for casual listening. I say if it's not good enough for you just don't complain because its almost as good as a small speaker is going to get.

Btw, it is better than maxed out speakers.
  6. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That's the problem... I have friends with speakers on their cellphones, and they go much louder, and the quality is decent...
    So I'm not complaining, but I'm worried, since there are many people who say the speakers go pretty loud.. And mine doesn't at all.

That's way I ask to compare your speakers with the headphones. If you set volume @ max, and you keep the headphones about 1m from your ears, and you do the same with the speakers... You can compare them, right? With me the speakers are slightly better/louder... But not much. I wonder if that's normal?
  7. conjy

conjy New Member

I think what OP is trying to say is that, the speakers suck, because you can get louder, clearer music with decent headphones and max volume.
  8. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The speakers are only for casual listening as Spd2Last said. They aren't exactly meant to go loud, and aren't meant to go as loud as other mobile phones. When BGizzle compared the original iPhone's speakers to the iPod touch's, the loudness was pretty much the same, but the speaker quality of the touch's was tinny and shouty. Don't expect much from them, and don't expect them to be louder than your friend's phones