iPod Touch 2G input voltage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipodtouch4me, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ipodtouch4me

ipodtouch4me New Member

Does any body know what is the max input voltage of an iPod Touch 2G. Can't seems to find any answer to this one. I know the the USB output voltage is around 5 volts. There is a lot of after market car & wall charger for the touch that has an output voltage ranging from 9 to 12 volts and it says that it is iPod Touch compatible.

If any one know please chime in.

Thanks,
    Reg
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    what do you mean by voltage
  3. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Depends what your using. The USB standard is very strict about the voltage, around 5V, but FireWire is much more flexable, 3-12V, so it depends what your using, I have a feeling that new iPods cant charge via FireWire, but to be on the safe side with anything your making, try and get it as close to 5V as you can.
  4. scottieb

scottieb New Member

They can't...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Which also means my 2G doesn't work right with 90% of my peripherals (clock radio, car charger/adapter, hifi, jbl donut thingy etc). It still plays music (well not out of the car adapter) but will not charge. Bummer.
  5. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    yeah that sucks but you will get over it because they werent meant to support the 2g yet i suppose
  6. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

If you go to http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPod/iPod-Touch-2G/Page-5#s2924 the site will tell you that the second gen ipod touch's battery is a Lithium-ion polymer and is rated at 3.7 volts, but it doesn't list the input voltage of the battery.

I know that the first gen ipod touches charged at 1000mA (or 1A) when pluged it to a wall charger but when pluged into an computers 2.0 USB port the ipod charges at 500mA and when pluged into FireWire the first gen ipod touch charges at 750mA.

Why do you want to know the input voltage anyways?
  7. ipodtouch4me

ipodtouch4me New Member

So, this could only means that the wall & car charger that i got from accstation.com - that has an output voltage of 9.9 & 12 volts will not work on the new 2G. I have a strong suspicion that this is the case because the pins on the connector side of the charger does not match to the pin on the USB cable that comes with the 2G. I wonder why the Apple engineers decided to decided to change this!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Because I just got a couple charger from accstation.com that indicate iPod Touch compatible. The output voltage of both charger is 9.9 and 12 volts respectively and I know USB cable has an output voltage of 5 volts. I am concern whether those chargers voltage will be too much for the new 2G.
  8. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

oh yeah. It's better to be safe then sorry. But u should get an old iPod 30 pin USB cord and cut it in half and hook it up to a volt meter.
  9. ipodtouch4me

ipodtouch4me New Member

MutherFOO,

Thanks for the idea. If I sacrifice a 30 pin USB cable, cut in half and read between wires - should I be able to get the output voltage of the battery?

Reg
  10. iblackwind

iblackwind New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah u should be able to and i guess it is powered by DC i am not sure....anyway try ac too...
    and before u do that find out which two pins are + and - then hook it up to a voltmeter