iPod Touch 2G hangs on black background and Apple logo

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Artmuzz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Member

Hi,

I went into Cydia on my iPod Touch today and installed updates for applications like SBSettings, MegaInstaller etc. After the apps had updated Cydia told me to "restart springboard" which I did. However, my iPod Touch crashed when I restarted Springboard so I had to turn it off by resetting it.

Now I have a big problem

Please Register or Log in to view images

When I switch my iPod Touch on it just hangs on the black background with the Apple logo in the centre. About a minute later the background with the Apple logo gets brighter but it still hangs

Please Register or Log in to view images

After about 5 minutes I get a white screen for a second then it goes back to the black background with the Apple logo.

Strange thing is that when I connect my iPod Touch to iTunes on my Mac i am still able to transfer songs, apps etc into my iPod Touch.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Please advise

Art
  2. catboy756

catboy756 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I had the same issue once, so I restored with fresh firmware, then I rejailbroke, everything worked fine after that.
  3. skankster

skankster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    agggghhhhh!

Ive just had the same problem!
    I was updating the same programmes and I just hit the same problem as you. The screen is just hanging on the apple logo, occasionally it flickers white , then changes back the the logo screen.

I guess i gotta re jailbreak then?
    Damn
  4. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Only problem is that i fear that if I restore it will wipe files off my iPod Touch that I want to keep. I had downloaded videos off YouTube on my iPod Touch that I wanted to save on my Mac. How can I access the downloaded YouTube files on my iPod Touch without using SSH?

Cheers

Art
  5. nomadman

nomadman New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yea, I upgraded Cydia a few hours ago and I can confirm that it broke my install. I just finished re-jailbraiking and now cydia repo wont load and if it did, cydia doesnt even give me a message to update the first time it loads.
  6. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Member

A WARNING TO ANY IPOD TOUCH OR IPHONE USERS..

DO NOT UPDATE ANY OF THE APPLICATIONS IN CYDIA

If in any case you have and have encountered the same problem then backup all your files using Total Commander for PC. It connects the iPod Touch/iPhone via USB instead of using SSH. Then do a restore on iTunes.

Art
  7. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    What happens with me is that it boots up, with the Apple logo. Screen gets brighter. Screen dims and Apple logo disappears. After a minute or so, it goes to my lockscreen.

This also happens when respringing, the spinning busy icon in the center disappears and I'm left with a blank screen for a minute or so.

Just wait, it will boot up.
  8. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    on 2.2.1, my 2G used to hang at the boot logo. I left it for 48 hours with a wall charger and still nothing. i had to restore and re-jailberak.
    in terms of the files, there are a number of USB SSH-like clients available. you could use these to back up all your files and then start over.

on 3.0, i tried to install a package that wasn't compatible with 3.0 and on respring, it hung and rebooted. unfortunately, this also required a restore to fix.

MORAL OF THE STORY: GOOGLE EVERYTHING BEFORE INSTALLING!