iPod touch 2g freezes on apple logo - tried almost everything

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jkyahoo101, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jkyahoo101

jkyahoo101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iPod touch 2g freezes on apple logo - Don't worry I fixed it.

I can't even put it into DFU or anything. Even tried running the battery down then trying but still nothing. It just starts up then stops at the apple logo. It seems to literally freeze because the logo kinda gets all jagged. And sometimes it gets colored vertical dashes that move up on the screen (see pic). My ipod is a 2nd gen and jailbroken 3.0. I really need help here. Thanks to anyone that can help.
  2. petamartt

petamartt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    helo, sorry this is so long but please read it.

i have an ipod touch 1g 16gb. a while ago i accidently restored it with iphone firmware. it still worked though. after that by about a week i put it into recovery by holding down the home and plugging it in. at that time i was running itunes 8.2. when itunes opened up it said"itunes has found an iphone in recovery mode you must restore before it can be used". ye itunes was now recognising it as an iphone. i then went on and tried putting it in dfu. i had ziphone opened up and it told me that i had correctly put the iphone in recovery and that i needed to just restore with the firmware in itunes. now that i was in dfu i opened up itunes again. it said the same thing. "itunes has found an iphone in recovery mode you must restore before it can be used". so i clicked restore, then a pop up said that the software is not currently available make sure you have the latest version of itunes and try again. at that time i had the latest version of itunes. i then tried shift+restore and selected the 2.2.1 ipod 1g firmware. it then said the firmware file is not compatible. so i then downloaded 5 or six different firmwares and tried them all. the same thing happened, itunes said the firmware file is not compatible.

i then downgraded to itunes 7.8 i think it was. i plugged the ipod in and itunes opened up and said itunes has found an ipod in recovery you must restore it before it can be used. i was starting to get happy itunes now recognised it as an ipod. so i pushed restore but it gave me error 1619. i then tried the dfu mode and had ziphone open to make sure i got in correctly, itunes then opened up and said, itunes has found an ipod in recovery and to restore to use it. i then pushed restore and itunes popped up and said the ipod could not be restored unknown error occured error 2001. i was now really confused.

i then down graded to itunes 7.5. it also recognised my ipod as an ipod. it said itunes has discovered an ipod in recovery you must restore to use. i then tried the dfu procedure and the the pop up came again itunes as discovered an ipod in recovery you must restore to use. i then clicked restore and it said the software is not currently available make sure you have the latest version. i then clicked shift+restore and it now said the ipod could not be restored an unknown error occured error 1.

by this time itunes 9.0 was released. i upgraded to it, and it gave me the exact same messages as itune 8.2

so if anyone has any idea what i can do or any idea what the errors mean could you please help me i would appreciate it. thanks in advance.
  3. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

WTF, never seen this before
  4. jkyahoo101

jkyahoo101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lol, thats not very reassuring. Surely someone has had the same problem? All I did was plug my ipod into my computer to charge, then went to sleep. When I woke up it was like that. iTunes was not up when it was charging. Now iTunes won't even recognize that my ipod is plugged in. I get absolutely no indication that my pc even knows the ipod is there. There has to be someone around here that can help.

@petamartt
    Please make your own thread instead of hijacking mine. Our problems are very different. Thank you.
  5. Edin.

Edin. New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Never seen this problem...Although it's funny looking at that pic. Looks like your iPod is really "JailBroken".

Are you sure DFU mode doesn't work? What happens when you plug it into your computer?
  6. jkyahoo101

jkyahoo101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Absolutely nothing happens when I plug it in. And I am almost sure DFU mode won't work. Holding the home button while plugging it in does nothing. Along with the traditional way to put it in DFU. I'm going to try to see if connecting it to a different computer helps.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Didn't work either. I am in desperate need of help. Is there any way to just erase the hard drive? Cause then I could return it. I really don't want to return it with my jailbreak and all my info.
  7. ShAdY_rEcOrDsS

ShAdY_rEcOrDsS New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Try connecting it into DFU mode... I mean turning it
    then connect... tell me what happens and exactly what did u do
  8. jkyahoo101

jkyahoo101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can't put it into DFU mode when it's unplugged either. This is how I'm trying. When device is on hold home for 10 seconds, then hold both home and power until the device reboots, when the apple logo appears then let go of power but keep holding home. It won't work, just shows those stupid bars. Could it be the gpu maybe? And if so I just want to totally erase my HD.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I have a feeling I'm not going to get an answer. O well. I guess I'll just try and return it as is. Thanks to everyone who tried to help. It's greatly appreciated.
  9. ShAdY_rEcOrDsS

ShAdY_rEcOrDsS New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hmmm try it like this
    hold power for 3 secs
    hold power + home for 10 secs
    hold homes for 30 secs
    connect to computer
  10. jkyahoo101

jkyahoo101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Tried it, no change. I'm beginning to think it's a hardware failure. Maybe GPU, that would explain the colored lines. I've had computers do the same thing.