iPod Touch 2G - dented casing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by splice, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splice

splice New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've been using an iPod Touch 2G for like a month now. A few days ago, I dented its back.

It happened in a painfully silly moment: I was fiddling with a wooden stick (sort of like a pool cue but shorter; other circumstances are irrelevant) while waiting for something and feeling bored, and I accidentally hit my pocket with it. I said to myself: oops, lets see if my iPod suffered some sorta damage. I never would have believed so: I didn't hit so hard, moreover it was a pretty light impact and I thought that there is no way that it had harmed the famous Apple's mighty product of utmost quality.

The pretentious smile on my face froze quickly when I saw that there's indeed a dent on the metal casing.

My question to you is this: Can you think of any solution to this problem? The iPod works perfectly, this is merely about aesthetics. (And my personal disappointment in Apple but nvm that). I went through the related threads here, and I guess Apple can't help. Does somebody know a way to remove the back plating though? Would that void the warranty? The dent could surely be corrected by taking off the back plating.

Thank you in advance for your help,
    splice

ps. I am new to this forum but please try to restrain yourselves from posting things such as "your problem, you dented it" or "why do you care, its a dent", not to mention other nasty comments. I know it's my "fault" and I know that the fact that it still functions perfectly makes this sort of a marginal issue so just try to be glad that yours isn't dented and if you can, please assist

Please Register or Log in to view images

ps2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30334834@N04/sets/72157612746301818/ here are some pics, but their quality sucks.
  2. Aestysu

Aestysu Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Best thing to do is to get a slicone case or other sort. Should hide it.
  3. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

You could buy a replacemeant backplate from ebay but that seems a bit drastic. it dosent look bad anyway.
  4. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i think metal cases are not that durable.
    i prefer you use a silicon case or a leather one with invisishield

5. Justinz28

Justinz28 New Member

The only way i can think of is either with a small dent puller (dont even think you could find one that small). Or using a method of heating, then contraction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSWESEVOUA

I wouldnt suggest that at all, as it may worsen the damage, even break your ipod, but its all i can think of.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    hmm i would just get a case, or one of those stick back things. Skin things that are like stickers but thick and dont come off.

7. Sagill888

Sagill888 New Member

You must be proud that yours isn't as dented as mine at the back.
    It is really painful to see them.
  8. xr_troika

xr_troika New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just dented mine aswell,
    God knows how i did it and typical the day i dont use the decent leather £16 case i bought for it argghhhh.
  9. Jeffs1pod

Jeffs1pod New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Mine came out of my pocket while on my motorcycle cruisong at 80 mph. Then taking me another hour to find it approx. 25ft off of the road on the opposite side I was traveling. This all occured the third day of my owning it. It never missed a beat. I had to do a little custom metal fabrication... ie bending it back ..so that I could use the power and volume buttons again.. I now have a rubber cover...looks brand new... not one scratch on the touch screen...I was extremely lucky
  10. Pwnzorz

Pwnzorz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That was... intense. You should tell that at party's.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.