iPod Touch 2G Crash - Can't restore... Tried a lot...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gary54, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Gary54

Gary54 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hello everyone,

my friend's iPod Touch 2G kinda died at christmas (exactly one day after the warranty expired). It was jailbroken on 3.1.2 (via Pwnage Tool 3.1.4). While playing a game it just crashed and went blackscreen. Since then the iPod boots up in Recovery Mode.

So what did we try so far:

Well, first of all we tried to recovery it about more than 50 times (both normal recovery and DFU mode, with all compatible firmwares (jailbroken and normal)). But either iTunes showed an error (6,9,20,21,1600) or the iPod froze in the process while iTunes was in "Preparing iPod Software for Restore" and the iPod was showing the Applelogo and a full bar (on 2.1.1 it freezes on "Waiting for iPod"). We tried this on WinXP, Win7 and my Mac (MacOSX 10.6.2) with different iTunes versions.

Also we tried to rewrite and upload files with iRecovery or just boot it up with it. Didn't help at all. But iRecovery gave us a little hint that it is maybe a hardware problem, because it gave, while trying to rewrite bigger system files, some Read/Write Errors.

Next tries involved tethered jailbreaking tools like older versions of RedSn0w. With these it was possible to get any firmware recovery over the "Waiting for iPod"-Step but not further. An attempt to jailbreak it again via RedSn0w or BlackRa1n didn't help either.

I read in other forums that we should keep on trying restore while switching ports and firmware versions and machines. But as we tried it with a lot of different setups and versions we are a little bit tired.

But maybe anyone has another idea how to get the iPod back to life or knows how to be sure that it is a hardware problem (maybe a diagnostic tool or something like that).

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
  2. Chamilism

Chamilism New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Try a DFU restore. It should work.
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Are you sure you entered DFU correctly?
  4. Gary54

Gary54 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    As I wrote before we did both normal recovery and DFU mode attempts. Yes we entered correctly DFU mode. Thanks for the answers, but we are really beyond the stage of putting the device into the correct mode, my friend and I both are familiar with jailbreaking and tools since firmware 2.1, from tethered to untethered jailbreaks and so entering DFU mode isn't a huge deal. Any further ideas?
  5. GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    take it back to apple?
  6. Gary54

Gary54 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yes I thought of this, too. The problem is, Steve is smiling on the iPod while in Recoverymode so they know out of the box that it is jailbroken. Nevertheless I went to a Service Provider, and they wanted about 50$ just for looking at it, so I decided to try a little bit more. I am willed to go deep down for entering the iPhone OS.

Maybe the iRecoverymessage gives a little bit more information:

#iRecovery -s

iRecovery - Recovery Utility
    by westbaer
    Thanks to pod2g, tom3q, planetbeing and geohot.

=======================================
    ::
    :: iBoot for n72ap, Copyright 2009, Apple Inc.
    :: BUILD_TAG: iBoot-636.66
    :: BUILD_STYLE: RELEASE
    :: USB_SERIAL_NUMBER: CPID:8720 CPRV:10 CPFM:03 SCEP:04 BDID:00 ECID:******************* IBFL:01 SRNM:[************] //here are of course numbers and letters...

Please Register or Log in to view images

=======================================

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (AND) RO
    [FIL:INF] Found chip id 0xb614d5ad on CS 0.
    [FIL:INF] Found chip id 0xb614d5ad on CS 1.
    [FIL:INF] Found chip id 0xb614d5ad on CS 4.
    [IL:INF] Found chip id 0xb614d5ad on CS 5.
    [FTL:MSG] FIL_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] BUF_Init [OK]
    [FTL:MSG] FPart Init [OK]
    [WMR:ERR] NAND format invalid (mismatch, corrupt, read error or blank NAND device)
    [WMR:ERR] boolSignatureFound false boolProductionFormatVerified true nSig 0x0
    ******************************************************************************
    AND: NAND initialisation faild due to format mismatch or uninitialised NAND.
    AND: Please reboot with reformatting enabled.
    NAND FTL failed initialisation
    Boot Failure Count: 0 Panic Fail Count: 15
    Entering recovery mode, starting command prompt

But it doesn't go further to any prompt or something. There must be something wrong... But I don't know what.
  7. GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    im not sure, but im pretty sure NAND is flash memory, so i guess the memory in the ipod is corrupt or something

best bet would be to take to apple if thats the case, dont know of anyother way to fix that
    sorry
  8. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    try VISTA! lol! wait? does it even restore to 3.1.2? no after u DFU it, and click on restore ipod in itunes, does it start downloading the latest FW and restore it? why do u have to restore it to 2.1?
  9. Gary54

Gary54 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Isn't there a way to check with a diagnostic tool or something? I mean the message iRecovery gives is posted on http://www.saurik.com/id/12 at nearly the end of the article and there is said that this can be exploited via RedSn0w and blackra1n but this doesn't seem to be the actual problem, what worries me is the "Panic Fail Count: 15" there should be a "0". But thanks for your answer.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I don't want to restore it to 2.1. I just want to restore it and bring it back to life the version doesn't matter.

Yes iTunes starts both on Mac and Windows (XP, Vista and Win7... tried all) to download the latest firmware 3.1.2 but as always it stucks at "Preparing iPod Software for Restore" in DFU mode and in recovery mode normally just pops up with the errors from 6 up to 1600.
  10. ish1tsn0w

ish1tsn0w Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    isent iRecovery only for the ipod touch 1G EDIT: nm