IPOD Touch 2G case - Can it dock?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Spedprof, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Spedprof

Spedprof New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Folks,

Can you tell me what do i need to look for in a case so that i can dock my Ipod into a sound system? How do i know if I will have to remove the case? How do i know if the case can be removed? Are there certain kinds of cases that can dock and others that cannot?

Thanks in advance.
  2. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Way to think ahead. It can be an issue.

If a dock is just exposed, and doesn't require complete insertion of the body of the iPod into a slot, you can sometimes leave the case on.

A few cases come with their own universal dock adapter (like the SwitchEasy line). Side note: I use a bluetooth dongle that will not work with SwitchEasy cases or any case that has protection between the headphone jack and dock connector. And yes, I still use it to maintain full functionality of my headset as 3.0 bluetooth takes away the skip track functions.

One way to be sure is to purchase a case made for super easy docking, such as the Incase Slider (my personal fave), Speck See Thru (also nice as bottom is also a stand), Griffin Wave (reported to scratch back) or Griffin NuForm (also leaves scratches) which have a bottom section of their case that slides completely off. Speck also makes the Tough Skin which is rubberized/silicon with a lower section that folds back.

Another option is the SendStation Dock extender which connects through nearly any case and then to the dock.

As for ease of removal, I don't care how easy it is, if you are going to be docking often and have to completely remove the case, it will become annoying. I have the Speck See Thru for my iPod Touch 1G and it is easy to remove but who wants to have to do that?

I have owned the Naked Case, and the dock (and buttons) were so recessed, it always had to be removed.

I strongly suggest the Incase Slider. It's a great case and there are no docking issues. I dock it in an alarm clock radio and juke box and don't even have to take the slider part off. But if you have other specific cases in mind, read reviews and ask owners before purchasing. The smallest and thinnest cases will have the least issues.

HTH,
    D
  3. Spedprof

Spedprof New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ipod Touch 2g with a case - can it dock?

Thanks for the helpful response... I'm leaning towards a holster type case so I can take it out wen needed

Thanks again