iPod Touch 2G bricked help???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PrinceKee, Feb 23, 2009.

1. PrinceKee

PrinceKee New Member

Okay, I bought an iPod touch 8gb 2g off of ebay used Friday. I received it today and to my surprise it was a 16gb instead of a 8gb like I had bought so I thought it was my lucky day. I go to turn it on and nothing so I figured it needed charging. When I plugged it into my laptop all it did was blink off an on with the white apple icon up on the screen. I searched google and learned how to reset it by holding the power+home buttons for 10 secs. After I did that I got the itunes logo with the usb cable screen and my computer said that the iPod detected in recovery mode, you must restore this ipod before you can use it with itunes. So I click okay and it proceeds to download the recovery software and try to install it. During that I hear the little beep on my laptop and the screen changes back to the white apple then back to the screen with the usb cable and itunes logo. But, the error I keep getting says "iPod could not be restored unknown error (1611).

I've download both the 2.1.1 and 2.2.1 firmware and tried the shift+restore and loading those but I get the same error.

Anyone have any ideas before I try and get a refund? I'm using Windows Vista btw. Thanks
  2. Alok

Alok New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    try maybe on a different computer or a different user?
    I wanted to restore mine once, and it was in recovery mode [usb pointing towards itunes]
    i tried, but it gave me error 13
    so I logged out, and tried it on my dad's account [same computer], and it restored!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

lol
  3. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes, lets try putting it into DFU mode, and another computer? Reinstall iTunes maybe.
  4. lechuckgl

lechuckgl New Member

Is it new or its used ? If its new, just take it to any apple store....a brand new iPod should not have any problems the frist time you turn it on. I am sure they'll be able to help you...could you at least activate it ?
  5. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    He said it was used.
    Try downloading the iPod firmware manually and shift then click restore
  6. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    poor u makeĀ“s me sad...
  7. PrinceKee

PrinceKee New Member

Okay I tried to manually download and install the firmware manually. I've also reinstalled iTunes and same thing. I can't try it on my other PC because my mobo is fried so I'm all out of things to do I guess...

8. mgiljum

mgiljum New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would take it to an Apple Store first, just to see if the warranty is still in effect. You might even try asking if they can try and simply restore it on one of the Macs in the store, usually they don't mind doing that.

Other than that, my advice would be to buy locally in the future

9. PrinceKee

PrinceKee New Member

Well, I there are no Apple stores in Kansas so I'm out of luck. Guess I'll just get a refund or exchange it from the seller. Kind of wanted to see if I could fix it since it was a 16gb. Thanks for trying guys...
  10. D1sfuncti0nal

D1sfuncti0nal New Member

i had a similar problem with my ipt2g 16gb. my brothers tried hacking the password and completely shut it down. when i tried to restore it did the same thing with the same error message. when i researched it, i was told to hold down both home and sleep buttons for ten seconds and let go of the sleep button while holding home for another 25 seconds, which puts your ipod into restore mode. it probably took me five tries before the error message went away from itunes and it actually restored. this is just a suggestion so dont expect it to work but from what other people said, you have to keep trying until the error message goes away.