iPod touch 2G 8GB recognized as iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stranded, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Stranded

Stranded New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Y'ello!

I have been asked by my friend to fix his iPod Touch 2G 8GB which he somehow managed to "semi-brick". According to him he fell asleep in his bed, together with the iPod - and since then the iPod Touc won't start.

When connecting it to my computer, iTunes tells me that I have connected an iPhone which is in need of a restore. However, the usual restore button won't let me restore it, telling me that "Software for this iPhone is not currently available. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and try again.". Doing a classic shift+restore with an iPod Touch firmware won't work either telling me that "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.", which probably is due to the fact that iTunes refuses to restore - what it think is - an iPhone with iPod Touch firmware.

DFU mode doesn't seem to be working, at least I'm not getting a white screen nor any changes in iTunes. Neither does holding the home button while connecting the iPod to the computer.

This is the worst kind of situation I've ever seen an iPod Touch in and I honestly have no idea where to take it from here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
  2. ibby1001

ibby1001 Member

3. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    DFU is a blank screen, not a white one.
    Okay, this happened to me before when i was restoring and then my iPod got disconnected (When it was just checking up with apple, phew!) and it recognized it as a iPhone. Try pressing 'Upgrade" if it's there.
    Just hit restore, not shift click.

Hope i helped.
    SwiftSkii
  4. Stranded

Stranded New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The Upgrade button is greyed out (it says that the iPhone (..it is not an iPhone damnit!) firmware is up to date). Screen won't light up in any way regardless of what I try.

I guess you could say that the iPod Touch is stuck in recovery mode where iTunes finds it as an iPhone. And yes, I have tried on several computers.

Edit: Maybe worth noting is that the iPod Touch wasn't jailbroken.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I came to think of that I am using my iPhone 4 sync cable, could that be the reason to iTunes recognizing the iPod Touch as an iPhone?
  5. Stranded

Stranded New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Bring
    up
    my