iPod Touch 2g 3.0, "syncing" music and other files without iTunes (a howto)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by seekret, Jul 22, 2009.

1. seekret

seekret New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the 2g ipod touch with the 3.0 update and it is jailbroken. However there is currently no way to sync this ipod with linux, at least until amarok and the other media players implement support for the 3.0 update. However there is a way to transfer files to the ipod, whether you have it jailbroken or not, using an application called air share.

This isn't a free application, the basic version is 4 or 5 dollars but I recommend it for anyone running *nix and doesn't want to jailbreak the ipod or currently can't sync it. Airshare has been available for as long as I can remember, it was the first app I bought when I got my 2g in January. I have verified that using the airshare app to transfer audio works, you are able to store your music in the airshare folder and play it directly from the ipod. The setup is very easy, airshare comes with a guide on how to set it up. This is what I had been using before the jailbreak in place of ssh to use the ipod touch as a portable hard drive. The application works no matter what OS so even if you are a windows user who doesn't want or can't jailbreak you can use this.

A side note, this may be possible using only ssh on a jailbroken iPod. I was having no luck storing the music files in the iPod's directories but I only tried the actual music folders. I haven't tried as hard as I would if I didn't already own the air share app, so I would see if you can store music through ssh first to avoid spending any money if you don't have to.

I just wanted to post this as I felt it was useful information to have for anyone not able to use iTunes but still wanted to be able to "sync" music on their jailbroken ipod's running the 3.0 software. I have no connection to whoever wrote the application, but this forum was extremely useful in helping me jailbreak with the great guides so I wanted to give something back instead of just lurking all the time.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What does this have to do with the 3G?
  3. seekret

seekret New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. I misread the title.
  4. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would hate to have my music all in that app. That app never works with music its so choppy. But then again maybe they updated it because i havn't used it in a while. Anyway welcome.