Ipod touch 2G 1 year warranty question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dytoonn, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Everybody knows that you've got a standard 1 year of warranty on your iPod product. But I wonder; is this warranty FREE? I've read that the first 3 months are completely free, and after that you always will need to pay a restocking fee or something like that.
    The reason I'm asking: A few days after I've bought my ipod touch I noticed a stuck pixel. A week after that I noticed another one, and today another one! They're not really bothering me (they can barely be seen when brightness is set at 25%) but it worries me. Maybe there will be more stuck/dead pixels in the future? So I could wait for a few months to see if there will be any more dead pixels, but I think I shall need to pay for the service after 3 months... Please let me know: If you send your ipod to apple, you have your ipod for less than 1 year, and the problem that your ipod is suffering is covered by the warranty, will you get a replacement ipod touch absolutely free??
  2. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm not an expert on US warranty policies, but I'd just go to the nearest apple store and ask. It is possible that you have to live with a certain number of faulty pixels, or they might replace it because it's still very new...

Edit: I just read up on Apple's policy, and quite frankly it's outrageous!
  3. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry my english isn't very good; what do you mean with outrageous? Is it extremely good or bad?

And it aren't really those 3 pixels who are the problem, I can live with those, but I need to know for how long I can send my ipod touch to apple and get a new one for FREE... If it's only 3 months absolutely free I'll do it now, if it's one year, I can wait....
  4. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's free for 180 days, after that it costs sometihng for shipping and fixing it, and after 360 days it'll be even more expensive.

And I think those warranty policies are quite bad...
    I am glad that here in germany we get 2 years of free warranty by law from the store we buy it from.
  5. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    They take care of it no problem. If you go to the Apple Store they will replace it on the spot if their in an issue the first year. There is a program I posted here before that will fix stuck pixels.
  6. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Best Buy

This is a reason for purchasing at Best Buy.

In addition to Apple policy, Best Buy has their 30-day guaranty and for nearly $50 more they sell a guaranty for an additional 2-years.

If you like, you can purchase a 3-years guaranty.

I purchased the Touch 2G 16 GB and in 30-days I knew it would probably work out, for me. It has one spot of dead pixels. It darkens across the top. For that reason, before the 30-days expired, I purchased the 2-years guaranty.

If the Touch fails, I am covered.

If it needs a replacement battery in the next 2-years, I am covered.

How do you fix stuck pixels?
  7. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah all those 'fix stuck pixel' programs didn't work for me, and I'm not going to use it for like an hour, some say it can break even more pixels.

And I bought the ipod touch in America, but I live in Belgium so I think that that Best Buy warranty isn't something for me. Anyway, I'm fine with the one year warranty, but I need to know if my ipod is fully covered (and free of charge) for 1 year. That question isn't answered yet...
  8. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well as I said the apple document said that it's completely free for 180 days, and a shipping+fixing fee applies after that, still less than you'd pay without warranty though.
  9. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah I've read that, but there's no-one who confirms that. People have said to me it's only 90 days for free, they've said it's 180 days for free, they've said it's 1 year for free... I want to know for sure! And I've been looking all over the interet and apple's site, but I can't find ANYTHING concerning my issue... :s
  10. JAD

JAD New Member

Contact Apple and ask. They're very easy to talk to. You may have a free number to call in your country (check their site) or try email if you don't.